Re: My Quickie Flying Update

Matthew Curcio

Cool, look forward to meeting you and yeah we had a meeting a few days ago on it. All the scaled planes, myself, and other employee planes are going to be heading down from Mojave in a flight at 9am Friday morning. The airport has all of our N numbers and is going to direct us for parking. If you can stop by and check out the L29 that’s going to be in our group. One of the engineers (whose about my age ~30) bough it on Craigslist as a project and got it flying all for less than the cost of a used Honda Civic. . . He’s one of the two flight engineer for the stratolaunch project now.

Matthew Curcio
419-290-3773

On Mar 15, 2018, at 18:09, Keith Welsh kflyav8@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Matt,
I enjoyed reading your post especially the LACAS part (LA County Airshow).
I will be there with a group called the Airdales which is a group of guys who work the flight line operations at airshows around the country.
We will be the guys with the orange flight vests directing aircraft to and fro during the show, parking statics (likely including yours) and anything else pertaining to ramp movement.
I'm told I will be one wearing a headset, a David Clark headset to be exact.

In case you didn't already know:
The airport will be closed to all inbound traffic during the show except those whos N nos. are listed on the expected arrival list.  No transients will be allowed at this particular airport due to parking limitations.
The tower will need a list of the expected arriving aircraft with their N nos. so they will know who to let in.  We already have quite a large list of all the expected performer and static aircraft.
I take it you have already made arrangements with the folks at Scaled? and we may already have your info.  If you'll give me your N no. I'll be sure it gets passed on.
A couple of Airdales arrive on Sunday to layout the ramp with the rest of the crew arriving on Wednesday including me when performer and display aircraft begin arriving.

On a side note no jet team this year and the C-130 has canceled however you will have two Ospreys and a bunch of other really cool military stuff including two Lockheed UAV's being shown for the first time to the public.
They will be trucked in and assembled.  Right now it looks like you guys have a 4-5 hour show planned for both Sat and Sunday.  I'm looking forward to the Ferrari's and Lamborghini's racing the T-33 on Saturday.
Those car guys are rich enough to PAY to do this.  Imagine that.
And...if your standing along the fence during the Jelly Belly show we are supposed to run up and down the crowd line throwing packets of Jelly Beans into the crowd. Oh boy!!

I'm looking forward to seeing you and your beautiful plane next week.
Keith Welsh
Q-1 N494K

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 3:27 PM, Matthew Curcio mlcurcio89@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

I figured I do a PIREP on my Q2 flying and maintenance / build projects so far this year and one interesting tidbit I found yesterday.

I flew the Q out from Ohio to California over new years. I had logged 22 priors on it before the trip out and since the beginning of the year I've logged 88 hours. . .not too shabby for 2.5 months right!? The good I've been able to fly to work about 30% of the time and its actually cheaper in fuel costs than driving! I've made a trip to san fran, vegas, Santa Barbara and I've flown into a bunch of airports in LA. I fly into John Wayne enough the controllers recognize me.  I also have been flying down to palm springs about every other weekend where my powered paraglider lives to fly that. I actually was able to fit it in the passenger seat of the quickie to fly it down there. I've been able to push my cross wind performance to up to 18knots. Smallest runway so far is 4k feet long and 60 feet wide. I've really grown to like the goofy gear configuration. I'm going to get to take the airplane down and put it in Scaled Composites display at the LA airshow in a week, sitting next to proteus, ARES, Bipod, and a couple other employees airplanes.

Until yesterday I didn't have any forced maintenance. I think its pretty freaking awesome to put 90 hours on an experimental and not touch a thing. Couple of things I've done. I added a transponder, carved some new really comfortable seats, changed my canopy to a side hinge (I made a detent in the safety latch so I can hold it cracked about 3" for taxi.)I changed out my tailwheel and spring to api tailwheel with a 5/8" carbon rod. I screwed that up on the first try and didn't have enough strength in torsion (had a almost total failure up in Livermore and much thanks to the good fellas up there for helping me hobble her home) I was able to fix that problem without cutting anything out. I spent a little time analyzing it and then built up the spring to allow a 200lb side load at the wheel surface with factor of safety of 2. It has performed great in the last 50 hours. I changed my vents out to the big 1 3/4" plastic vents from spruce which increased the area from the previous ones by a factor of 5 and I know effectively can create a hurricane in my cockpit. I added toe breaks but I keep having a bubble that forms in the reservoir line in the left peddle so I'm still using the single brake lever.

The fun yesterday  - on changing the oil I found the tail end of a cotter pin in the plug. I pulled the  engine so I could pull the kidney and go through that hole to boroscod all the connecting rod nuts. It was the number one cylinders lower connecting rod bolt. Thoroughly inspected it  (along with a few second opinions) and we determined it was a fatigue failure presumably caused by the cotter pin being cut to long. The retaining features of the pin are not compromised in anyway by the missing portion. I'm going to leave it rather than take on the risk of pulling a cylinder to get access to replace it. Anyways that's a good example of why weird guidelines in 43.13 can have significant effects (It states that cotter pins should be trimmed to not extend past half the diameter of the bolt when bent over).

Down the line - I'm going to start hitting some aero mods pretty hard to clean this thing up, then cooling system modification,  and then get into engine and propeller mods next year. I want to see how much speed and economy I can squeeze out of this. I have to say that similar to my seaplane this quickie has really proved to be what everyone imagines the fun of owning an airplane to be and few airplanes actually provide that. I'm able to go to all kind of awesome places, reliably, and I can even park at work.

Hope you enjoyed my update, Happy Flying!

Matthew Curcio

419.290.3773