Re: Comm/autopilot problems

Rick Hole

Transponders are in the 1 GHz (microwave) range.  Whether the same ferrite beads will be effective there I can’t predict.  It wouldn’t hurt to try it.  My guess would be since the transponder is a fixed frequency device, and in general we use commercial antennas for them, so it is likely that the impedance match is quite good and the ferrites may not improve it much.  If you home-brew the TXP antenna all bets are off considering a small fraction of an inch in length would change the center frequency considerably.  SWR meters for microwave may be available, at a price.

You might take a look at the ground for you’re A/P servo.  Since you are seeing RFI you may need a low impedance ground.  That means a heavier wire or better yet braid strap.  The ½” copper foil tape commonly used for antennas should work fine.

Rick Hole