Re: Fuel tank vent

Dave Hudak

All,
     The engine stoppage on mine had nothing whatsoever to do with fuel issues. It was all about overheating a liquid cooled engine too many times. The fuel vent worked flawlessly on both the original VW engine and later on the Subaru EA81.
Thanks, Dave

Powerhouse Electric, Inc.
201 Cavu Avenue / Kalispell, MT  59901
Office:   406-257-2677

David Hudak, Pres.
Master Electrician
Serving the Flathead Valley over 30 years!!

On Friday, September 14, 2018, 12:14:01 PM MDT, Paul Fisher rv7a.n18pf@... [Q-LIST]

Mine is the same as Sam's - on the bottom 5 or so inches below the fuselage just aft of the spar.  Although I've only got about 1,650 hours on mine, so I defer to Sam's experience!  ;-)

Paul A. Fisher
Q-200 N17PF

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018, 22:33 Sam Hoskins sam.hoskins@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

My vent comes out of the bottom, per Q-200 plans, sits about 5" below the fuselage, just aft of the spar. Served me well for 2,000 hours. Naturally, everyone else's mileage may vary.

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018, 4:00 PM wypaul2001@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Charle,
I have had mine on top for over 800 hours after experiencing problems with the vent coming out the bottom. Used a SS tube initially and then built a small airfoil shaped inlet that is about a half inch tall. Works great. The idea came from Dave Hudak's plane. I also lowered the header overflow by about 1/2" to stop the over filling problem. Be happy to send you a picture of mine and its location if you are interested.
Paul

PS just lowering the overflow may have cured the problem of a fuel loaded vent line but mine works great and would do the same again.