Re: Epoxy

One Sky Dog

Dustin,

The West system was designed for encapsulating wood to make it impervious to rot. It has a lower softening point than EZ-Poxy which is important in structural applications.

Use EZ-Poxy for the cowl cracks. Start on the inside of the crack. Scarf it (taper sand) back from the crack. Leave half of the thickness. Tape over the outside of the crack and do a repair layup on the inside. Let it cure, scarf the outside of the crack back and do a repair layup on the outside keep it thin and lower than the surrounding area. After it cures sand off the shine and high spots. Fair (smooth) in the surface using West 105 and micro-balloon putty mix. Sand fair and do the next repair.

Treat it as an adventure and have fun.

Regards,

Charlie Johnson

On Dec 6, 2018, at 4:31 PM, nitsudls1@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

😉

I was actually just wandering if the West Coast 105 Epoxy is an acceptable equivalent to the safe-t-poxy stuff that is mentioned in the builders manual?😀

As for the types of repairs that Ill need to do, I'm gonna start with the cowling as it will probably be the most straightforward. Then I have a few small gouges in the fuselage that has core. I'll do that next then I'll tackle the wing. I'm not sure yet if it will be salvageable... Ill get some help making that decision.

Dustin Graber