Re: Flight Report

Matthew Curcio

I put 400 hours on my q this year, flew into 55 new airports and flew to work 73% of the time. My resolution is to do it again! . . . And get high compression pistons on, autopilot, and fuel injection get my commercial and instrument rating. I did a new panel, electrical system, intercom, mgl iEFIS explorer, differential brakes, and a bunch of little mods just before Christmas. Super happy with it all so far, I can pull my panel in less than 10 minutes now. I have a full schematic, wire list and every spec of every electrical component of the airplane in a spreadsheet with all of the manuals cataloged as well. The wires are all sized to 43.13 and the routing is really neat and clean. I’m going to add an experimental g5 to the panel here in January for some redundancy.

Matthew Curcio
419-290-3773

On Dec 30, 2018, at 10:45, Kevin Boddicker trumanst@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Nice report Jay.

Hope you have many more to come. Keep posting.
Happy New Year to you and all on this list.
Resolution: Fly more in 2019!!!

Kevin Boddicker
TriQ 200 N7868B   468
 hrs
Luana, IA.

On Dec 30, 2018, at 11:59 AM, jay@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Hi Guys,

Yesterday was nice weather, so I decided to take my Q up for it's 8th test flight. Here is a summary.

Surface WX: Winds calm, temp -3C, 30.25 inHg, ceiling and visibility unlimited

Take off: Rolled a bit longer (field has 10500' length) and got to about 85 and it just lifted off without much back pressure. No left wing drop tendency (like it does when I pull it off at 75-80). I kind of like that feel. Keeps the plane on the ground about 2 seconds longer. That equates to about 250 feet more than normal.

Climb out: Normal, pushing trim (reflexor) forward to get between 110 and 120 indicated and about 500 fpm climb rate.

Oil temp:  I have been measuring oil temp on each flight at approximately the same phase of flight. (downloaded EFIS/EMS data). This is usually 2 minutes into the flight, while climbing at about 120 mph IAS where the oil temp peaks out. I have attached a graph of this temperature with flight # along the bottom of the graph. Since the flights are averaging about 45 minutes, you can get an idea of total flight time. Hoping the dashed line prediction continues to hold. Should put the cold weather max down near 210F when the engine is fully broken in.

Cruise: I think the engine leans best at about 85% power (2700 RPM).  At my altitude, 85% should be the max power I can churn out, but I am able to get over 3000 RPM at WOT, so my prop may be more of a climb prop than a cruise prop. I get about 127 mph IAS at 2700, which gives me 135 or so TAS. We will see what happens over the break in period. I can feel a little more power with each flight and the EGT's are becoming more well behaved, so that suggests less oil is making its way into the combustion chamber.

Envelope expansion: Took advantage of the cold temperature and smooth air to climb to 12300' (density altitude about the same at -11C OAT). Climb rate was about 1000' fpm at 100 mph IAS starting at 6000' and was still getting 300+ fpm climb at 75% throttle at 12000'. Set up in a level cruise over 12000' for several minutes with the throttle opened up and saw a stable 124 mph IAS (149 TAS). Good visibility over the nose, so I am getting the impression that this plane will accomplish the mission at my elevated altitudes here in western Colorado. Took advantage of the smooth air on the way down to expand the airspeed envelope incrementally, pushing nose over and a little bit at a time up to 170 mph IAS (195 TAS!), everything felt solid, no vibration, no noises other than airflow and good handling, straight ahead, etc. Good to know that everything is fastened together right.

Landing: Uneventful. Looking forward to the next flight.

Post Flight: Still have some oil leaks. Some due to high crankcase pressure, will solve that this week. The other significant one is due to a leaking oil pressure switch that I will also replace. Nibbling away at this pesky oil leak problem but optimistic. Leaks and consumption for this flight amounted to 1/2 quart of oil.

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q2 N8WQ 21.9 hours on the hobbs.

<Oil_temp_first_eight_flightrs.jpg>