Re: Typical RPM on Static Ground Test?

One Sky Dog

Jay,

My perspective comes from most of my airtime in unconventional aerial vehicles. I am also struggling with transition training from a reverse perspective.

I had over 500 hours of airtime and at least 600 dead stick landings and had flown 120 miles without an engine before I walked into a flight school. I walked out with 56 hours logged in a C-150. I had purchased a flying Dragonfly so I thought I should add a tail wheel endorsement and got 10 hrs in a C-140 with 85 hp.

I managed to get an hour of instruction in a Dragonfly with a CFI shooting touch and go’s before 15 hours of taxi time in my plane before first flight. Looking back that was marginal and I had a few landings that were completely wrong and took out a few props.
&
Now with over 1350 hrs of logged airtime. Today I am going for my 7 th lesson in my new airplane and hope to figure out the 3 point landings in it. It is a beast a highly STC’ed back country Super Pacer 180 hp with controllable propeller that likes to bounce unless set down just right.
I will be returning to my hangar at OGD to continue rebuilding my Dragonfly this summer. I am planning on going to the big Oshkosh event this year camping in Scholler area.

Regards,

Charlie 

On Apr 5, 2019, at 4:03 PM, 'Jay Scheevel SGT' jay@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Interesting way to look at it Charlie. Does that mean that I am in a “conventional” taildragger, with a tundra tailwheel, the engine mounted on the tail, AND flying it backwards while looking out the rear window, YIKES!  That’s just what I needed.

Cheers,

Jay

Sent: Friday, April 05, 2019 1:12 PM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Re: Typical RPM on Static Ground Test?

Jim,

Excellent point! I know a 17,000 hr pilot with lots of tailwheel experience , he almost wrecked a Dragonfly on a ferry flight for a customer.

Flying a tail dragged with the horizontal stab in back is quite different than a tail dragger with the horizontal stab in front.

Regards,

Charlie

> On Apr 5, 2019, at 11:12 AM, logistics_engineering@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:
>
> Corbin,
>
> I would be careful of who you get to fly your plane south. Some nice Q’s have been destroyed by pilots claiming to be tailwheel wizards or instructor pilots that jump in only to find they have a bull by the horns..
> This is a hybrid. Not a tricycle or a tail dragged but a variant. You might be better off trailering it and get it there in one piece.
> One that comes to mind is Barry Weber’s beautiful Q bird that was relocated by someone other than the owner and smashed it on landing in Vegas.
>
> Another is the two jokers that picked up Jon’ Q in New Mexico to fly it directly to New Jersey. Everything worked fine until they tried the first landing in Albuquerque. After several attempts to land they crashed it.
>
> Jim
> N46JP - Q200
>
> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: logistics_engineering@...
>
> Quickie Builders Association WEB site
> http://www.quickiebuilders.org
>
>
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
>

Join main@Q-List.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.