Re: Which prop for a TriQ-200

Jay Scheevel

Most common prop on the 0-200 among the Q200 crowd seems to be the Catto 2-blade. Catto has built a number of them, and as far as I know owners are happy with them.  Those with them can comment on price. I have a Prince prop on my Jabiru that I am happy with and Lynn French has recently installed a Prince prop on his O-200. Constant speed props on the Q-200 are rare. Bruce likes his. Imraan has a Warp drive 3-blade, if memory serves.

From: Q-LIST@...
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2019 12:57 PM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: [Q-LIST] Which prop for a TriQ-200

Hello everyone,

I am making a renewed push this year to get Earnest Martin’s TriQ-200 N479E back in the air.  I bought it from the 2nd owner after a main landing gear collapse.  It had a constant speed MT prop which was trashed from the incident.  That and the engine need rebuilding..

I WAS thinking to keep everything as-is, particularly since Bruce and (I think) Imraan have the same props on their TriQ-200s.  However, I don’t want to spend $7,000+ to REFURBISH the MT prop and get new blades.  With a few extra HP from high compression pistons I expect the CS won’t be necessary, which Earnest specifically mentioned to me as well.  Losing the MT CS the front-end weight will go down, which I also suspect contributes to nose gear collapses.  I realize I’ll need to do a new W&B on the aircraft.

Considering that, I have 2 questions:

  1. What propeller would be recommended for a TriQ-200?  I know this is a loaded question.  I’m just looking for ranges of climb vs. cruise props.
  2. Anyone want to convince me spend $7,000+ and keep the MT prop?  (donations are accepted 😊)

Best regards,

Jon

Jon Matcho

Repairing Quickie TriQ-200