Re: High speed taxi

Paul Fisher

I agree, be very careful with power changes at high speed.  It can get away from you really quickly.  If you've got 7000 feet plan on using it all.

I wouldn't plan for anything faster than 60-65 MPH for taxi tests.  Anything faster and you risk departing the runway.  Which brings up another point.  ALWAYS wear your seatbelt and carry enough fuel just in case you do get off the ground.  You need to be prepared to fly because you don't know your exact lift off speed (nor do you know if your airspeed indicator is accurate).  You may think you are just doing taxi tests, but becoming airborne is a definite possibility.

Good luck and be safe!

Paul Fisher
Q-200 N17PF

On Sat, Apr 13, 2019, 07:24 Jerry Marstall jnmarstall@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Rapid reduction in power at high speed definitely invites LOC.  Slow reduction in power invites the possibility of going off the end of the runway.

Moderate speed taxi with slow acceleration and reduction to get feel for A/C more beneficial.  I agree with Paul.
Jerry

-------- Original message --------
Date: 4/13/19 8:12 AM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: [Q-LIST] High speed taxi

Corbin, I see in your latest video you are planning some high speed taxi tests and crow hops. Both of those will increase your odds of an accident with very little benefit IMHO. Adverse yaw is also a big factor on roll out and can cause the bird to dart opposite the direction of the stick move. There are lots of pilots on here with lots of hours that may have some suggestions about these ideas.

Join main@Q-List.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.