Re: Lots of questions.

Dustin Graber <nitsudls1@...>

First I apologize for the photo quality. They had trouble loading, so I tried again, and it loaded twice.

Sam,

I’m in Waynesboro, VA.

Thanks for all the input. The feedback from everyone on and off the forum was very helpful. My next logical step is to focus on sanding the forward fuselage to evaluate its condition. I have a lot of confidence in it as I've already finished sanding the tailcone down and it looks great. The interior is bare glass. The only thing left that I can't see is the exterior of the fwd fuselage.

I tend to be to be to much if a perfectionist (that's what I hear at work), so building the wings new from scratch actually sounds kind of fun. I was just wanting to get in the air in two years as opposed to four.

Thanks again,

Dustin

Sent from my Windows 10 device

Date: 6/27/19 9:56 PM (GMT-05:00)

Subject: [Q-LIST] Lots of questions.

I got the forward fuselage down to my house and have started sanding on the canard. As i see more and more fiberglass of the wings and canard the more questions I have. I've asked some of the A&P's at work and they all say the same thing, "I don't know anything about fiberglass." I can't figure out how to add pictures to this post, so Ill just add them in the pictures folder.

First, there are some dings and gouges in the glass that I have to repair. One is on the leading edge about 12" from the wing root. I'm hoping the repair doesn't need to follow the upper surface under the wing root. Not sure how many layers thick it is, but the plans call for a 1" overlap per lamina, so the patch might get pretty big.

Second, the other wing has what appears to be a about a 2" spot on the upper unidirectional cap that is cracked just a little bit in the spanwise direction. By pressing sufficiently on it with my thumb I can hear the foam just a little bit. Other areas are rock hard. The thing this spot had no external signs of delaminating, cracking, or anything. In fact, if I bought a used flying plane I'm certain I wouldn't have been able to spot the defect.

Third, there are really large areas on the lower skin of the main wing both sides, that are delaminating from the foam. I've seen the canard repair online, where the builder did a complete repair from breaking the canard. I'm sure my main wings will require the same amount of work. The main wing looks to me like builder error.

Now for a bird-shot load of questions.

Is it worth repairing the main wing?
How will I know that other areas might delaminate at a later time?
If the canard is unrepairable I'm back to square one at starting basically from scratch on the project. Do I continue with the gu airfoil or switch to the ls-1?
Can the carbon spare be built? I have not seen a layup schedule for it anywhere.

Sorry to need so much advise, but I would like a piece of mind on structural issues.
Thanks, Dustin Graber

46