Re: Alt Field Circuit Breaker Popping

Rick Hole

I have seen frayed wires cause similar problems

Sonia and Rick Hole
Email: r.hole@...

On Jul 30, 2019, at 1:30 PM, Corbin Geiser c_geiser@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Just an update on the alternator field issue.  I replaced the 5 amp breaker but that didn't fix it.  My buddy that has a PP voltage regulator had the 28 volt version and not the 14 volt.

I am going to pull the engine off again this afternoon and run a wire from the Field term, on back of Alternator, to the back of the 5 amp breaker.  If it doesn't pop then I guess the problem is between breaker, voltage regulator, and firewall.

Corbin Ge!ser

On July 29, 2019 at 7:41 PM, "Corbin Geiser c_geiser@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Thanks!  I plan on doing this tomorrow.  I found a buddy that has a new PP voltage regulator and some 5 amp breakers.

I’ll replace the breaker and if that doesn’t stop it from popping then I’ll swap the voltage regulator.

Corbin

On Jul 29, 2019, at 4:46 PM, Rick Hole r.hole@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

I often take it on the master solenoid or on the panel cig lighter... If those are inconvenient try the battery + post as long as the master switch is on

Sonia and Rick Hole
Email: r.hole@...

On Jul 29, 2019, at 2:34 PM, Corbin Geiser c_geiser@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

This sounds easy to test.....where on bus should I test voltage from?  I am not familiar with working with the bus.  Do I just place the probe anywhere on a good contact along bus?

Corbin Ge!ser

On July 29, 2019 at 2:50 PM, "'Rick Hole' r.hole@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

The easiest test for a functioning alternator is to read the voltage on the 12V bus.  The battery without alternator will be 12.6 volts or less.  A functioning alternator will show more than 12.6 volts.  Normally the voltage regulator will adjust the field current to produce 13.8v with an automotive regulator and possibly as high as 14.4v with an aircraft regulator.

The engine must be running for the alternator to produce power, and may not produce full power at less than about 1600 RPMs.

Rick Hole