Re: Brake Bleed Methods

Jay Scheevel

I generally come up with a strategy to do everything as a single person. Comes from 10+ years of living by myself. So here’s my story.

Plan A. I put a jar of brake fluid and a clear tube from the bleeder into it, (tube full of fluid), then opened the bleeder. Then I have a little 12 V vacuum pump that I hooked up to the fill fitting in the top of the master cylinder. I thought: air bubbles move easier uphill and vacuum will just make it even better. Guess what? I was wrong. Did not work. Brake never got solid.

So….

Plan B. Used the little oil can trick and a flexible hose attached to the fill fitting on the top of the master. Opened the bleeder at the bottom of the caliper with the bleeder hose still in the jar. Pumped the master several strokes (refilling with oil can as needed). Closed the bleeder and the brake was rock solid. Caveat. My brake lines, excluding the small flexible sections on either end, are 1/8” OD stainless tubing, and my brake system is on a Tri-Q so shorter lines (maybe 7 feet total length). So moving a bubble through the entire length does not require much volume to be pumped from the master when compared to the plans-built nylaflo tubing on a taildragger.

This proves again that for my plane anyway, plan B is always better than plan A.

Cheers,

Jay N8WQ