Climb performance N8WQ

Jay Scheevel

Hi Guys,

After gathering quite a bit of inflight performance data on N8WQ (still in phase 1 testing), I have compiled most of the climb performance data. Trying to stay at a fairly constant density altitude, also keeping pressure altitude fairly constant. The air temperature this time of year mean that a comfortable MSL testing altitude of ~6000’ is at a DA around 8800’, so these data reflect that flying environment. Holding my GW around 1050 pounds for these tests.

I am happy to see that the climb data is confirming the relatively unconventional L/D profile that I got from my numerical modeling effort a few years ago. When I say unconventional, I mean that the highest L/D ratios occur very close to the lowest end of the stable airspeed range. The model chart shows L/D for level flight at a given airspeed. My flight data is measuring climb angle/rate as a function of airspeed at full power, not exactly the same thing, but close.

I have yet to gather climb data below about 78 mph IAS (and that was at 10000’ DA, so is not on this chart). I will get into the mid-70’s, but my pitch-buck occurs at around 70, so I approach that speed cautiously, when at full power.  Here is what I have so far.

Cheers,

Jay  Tri-Q2 N8WQ, 37 hours.