"unstick test"

kittleson1@...

Mr. Postma,

It sounds like you advocate the use of this "unstick test" in the flying
of the single seat Quickie, at least I think that is the plane you are
using....It may work fine.

Based upon flying the Q200, I don't really advocate trying to do this in
the Q200, especially on the first flight.

I can see some merit to it if a person is experimenting with the airfoils
and really has some serious questions about the stability of the plane
based upon the change the has occured, but if you're going to do it in
the Q200, you had better be really familiar with the airplane.

Pulling the power off after breaking ground in the Q200, and attempting
to land immediately is one of the scariest things I've seen in the past
23 years of flying. It can be a wild event, even in a plane that
normally flies well.

It may be cool in the Quickie, perhaps more stick authority and docile
characteristics, but not in my Q200.

The idea of getting airborne and putting it back on the ground again is
an old one...especially in new designs or making wild changes, where
there is some "reasonable doubt"

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:19:12 -0700 "James Postma" <james@...>
writes:
Thanks Jon,

This is precisely what I was saying. I covered the "unstick test"
in a
previous email. I recommend going to lift off speed at low power
settings
and once the canard lifts off, pull the throttle and let it settle
back.
The point is to note the lift off speed, not to make it fly.
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.