Re: Q2/200 configurations

Matthew Curcio

Toe brakes good
-Retain the use of your hands during, startup, taxi, and run up
-conventional arrangement, most people are accustomed To
Bad
-poor access for maintenance, installation, and inspection
-rudder pedals are not designed for the max pilot effort brake loads reacted by the master cylinders.
-some airplanes don’t have the space for the additional travel required.
- rudder pedal remains a single point of failure that would likely result in a loss of ground directional control

Finger brakes good
-easy access for installation, maintenance and inspection
- eliminates the rudder pedal and control circuit as a single point of failure resulting in a loss of ground directional control. (Note there are additional spf’s that would still likely result in a loss of ground directional control such as basically everything in the wheel and axle assemblies)
Bad
-atypical configuration requires a learning curve
-complicates starting and run up as there is not a free hand available to manage the throttle.

I have the finger brakes and I’m very happy with them, however it is obnoxious during startup, and run up. Much of that could be eliminated if I installed a parking brake valve. I have a really nice finger brake module I designed that you can build entirely out of the airplane and then just glass in place with some tapes. It allows for easy removal and maintenance of all of the components.

I don’t have the space for feet and brakes and I found the maintenance to be an issue.

Matthew Curcio
419-290-3773

On Dec 2, 2019, at 06:23, Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...> wrote:

 All true.  The pivot in the tail cone splits to separate the rudder from the tail wheel.  Great control results from that mod!
Bruce

On Dec 1, 2019, at 10:59 PM, Paul Fisher <rv7a.n18pf@...> wrote:

Good point Bruce, thank you for adding that!  My mistake overlooking that point.

However if you do the Jim/Bob six-pack with the pivot in the tailcone, I believe the toebrakes will continue to work even if you break the tailspring.

Paul

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019, 22:54 Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...> wrote:
I have toe brakes but Paul failed to mention if  you are a tail dragger and your tail spring breaks you won't have directional steering if you have toe brakes but finger brakes will still work.  Just and extra thing to think about.
Bruce