Re: Q2/200 configurations

Matthew Curcio

Toe brakes good
-Retain the use of your hands during, startup, taxi, and run up
-conventional arrangement, most people are accustomed To
Bad
-poor access for maintenance, installation, and inspection
-rudder pedals are not designed for the max pilot effort brake loads reacted by the master cylinders.
-some airplanes don’t have the space for the additional travel required.
- rudder pedal remains a single point of failure that would likely result in a loss of ground directional control

Finger brakes good
-easy access for installation, maintenance and inspection
- eliminates the rudder pedal and control circuit as a single point of failure resulting in a loss of ground directional control. (Note there are additional spf’s that would still likely result in a loss of ground directional control such as basically everything in the wheel and axle assemblies)
Bad
-atypical configuration requires a learning curve 
-complicates starting and run up as there is not a free hand available to manage the throttle.

I have the finger brakes and I’m very happy with them, however it is obnoxious during startup, and run up. Much of that could be eliminated if I installed a parking brake valve. I have a really nice finger brake module I designed that you can build entirely out of the airplane and then just glass in place with some tapes. It allows for easy removal and maintenance of all of the components. 

I don’t have the space for feet and brakes and I found the maintenance to be an issue. 

Matthew Curcio
419-290-3773

On Dec 2, 2019, at 06:23, Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...> wrote:

All true.  The pivot in the tail cone splits to separate the rudder from the tail wheel.  Great control results from that mod!
Bruce 

On Dec 1, 2019, at 10:59 PM, Paul Fisher <rv7a.n18pf@...> wrote:

Good point Bruce, thank you for adding that!  My mistake overlooking that point.  

However if you do the Jim/Bob six-pack with the pivot in the tailcone, I believe the toebrakes will continue to work even if you break the tailspring.

Paul

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019, 22:54 Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...> wrote:
I have toe brakes but Paul failed to mention if  you are a tail dragger and your tail spring breaks you won't have directional steering if you have toe brakes but finger brakes will still work.  Just and extra thing to think about.
Bruce

---------- Original Message ----------
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Q2/200 configurations
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2019 22:48:22 -0600

I have the dual finger brakes (~1600 hours over 29 years).  My master cylinders are just forward of the instrument panel where they are very easy to access.  I can't imagine having to climb down under the panel to work on them if I had toe brakes.

Bottom line is I like the finger brakes because of ease of maintenance (because you WILL have to maintain them!).  Operationally either will work fine.  

Paul Fisher
Q-200 N17PF

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019, 22:36 n7000t via Groups.Io <n7000t=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi everyone,
Could people weigh in on toe brakes versus the split lever brake system.
Maybe Sam Hoskins and Jim Patillo could weigh in as they seem to be on the opposite side of my question.
thanks in advance!

mike Q200wannabe 

Join main@Q-List.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.