Re: Considering Very First Composite Project - Guidance Appreciated

Sam Hoskins

Corbin.

Here's the Sam Hoskins method. Buy the light and a mounting bracket, if available. Look at your cowl and figure out where you have room. (If you want to get fancy you can use the ghost images method.)
Figure out which angle you want it to point. Drill a small hole in the cowling as the center of the light. Keep making the hole bigger until it's big enough. Figure out how to attach the light to the cowling. Trim the opening as needed. Figure out how to form a piece of Plexiglas to cover the opening. Figure out how to attach the plexi to the cowl. Figure out how to touch up the paint.
Figure out how to run your wires to a switch. Don't forget a connector so you can drop the cowl.
Make a log book entry.

Ghost images:

That should do it. Now start.

Sam

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020, 6:56 PM Corbin via Groups.Io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
I am moving this conversation over here, from Facebook, as recommended by Jay (thanks Jay).

I would like to add a LED landing light to my Q200.  I am leaning towards building the light flush into my lower cowling as I don't want to run wiring down the lower wing to install in the wheel pants.  Although, it would be really cool to have a flush mount light in both wheel pants.  I have also considered just mounting it under the cowling back towards the cowl flap.  However, flush would be preferred if it is not too difficult to learn how to do this.

So...on to my question.  I am open to taking on this project so that I get a flush mount light as well as learn how to work with composite material.  Can I use my current lower cowling as a mold or should I look into cutting and building the light into the existing cowling?

Open to suggestions and how to start learning about working with composite materials.