Re: Considering Very First Composite Project - Guidance Appreciated

Robert Cringely

As a guy who has built several composite aircraft (KR-1, Q-1, and two Glasairs) I say modify your existing cowl. Only build a new cowl if you screw-up the old one or it just turns out to be too darned heavy, in which case use the MODIFIED cowl as a male pattern for a female mold.

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 3:56 PM Corbin via Groups.Io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
I am moving this conversation over here, from Facebook, as recommended by Jay (thanks Jay).

I would like to add a LED landing light to my Q200.  I am leaning towards building the light flush into my lower cowling as I don't want to run wiring down the lower wing to install in the wheel pants.  Although, it would be really cool to have a flush mount light in both wheel pants.  I have also considered just mounting it under the cowling back towards the cowl flap.  However, flush would be preferred if it is not too difficult to learn how to do this.

So...on to my question.  I am open to taking on this project so that I get a flush mount light as well as learn how to work with composite material.  Can I use my current lower cowling as a mold or should I look into cutting and building the light into the existing cowling?

Open to suggestions and how to start learning about working with composite materials.