Re: Jerry come lately

Paul Fisher

Great to hear you are all put back together Jerry!  You beat me this year.  I just made my first Q flight of the year today - 10 days into March!  My excuse is not medical, but mechanical.

My #4 cylinder had developed an exhaust leak that ate away the edge of the exhaust port, so I had to put on a new cylinder.  Kevin Boddicker had a usable cylinder left over, so he gave it to me (thanks Kevin!!).  I finally got everything back together today and flew it for 0.9 hours.  That's the good news.

The bad news is after about 45 minutes in the air at full power circling the airport, the engine "coughed" - like someone had turned the ignition off and back on again.  Only lasted a split second but seriously got my attention.  About a minute later it happened again, and again about 30 seconds after that.  So I called approach and told them I was headed back to land.  I had plenty of altitude and I was only about a mile north of the airport, so it wasn't a huge deal, but I was concerned!

I landed long and taxied all the way to the end of the runway.  Just as I was turning off the runway the engine quit - prop stopped.  I was afraid I was going to have to push it back to the hangar, but it started right back up and I headed towards the barn.  About halfway back it died again.  Same symptom each time, like someone had turned of the ignition.  One more restart and I taxied uneventfully back to the hangar.  Throttle ups along the way all seemed normal.  Shut down at the hangar was also normal.

At this point, I'm assuming something is grounding the P-leads to the mags.  It didn't seem like a fuel issue (no sputtering, just instantly turned off).  I had enough for one day, so I'm going to sleep on it and then pull things apart and inspect the ignition wiring.  Weird because I didn't touch anything electrical as I replaced the cylinder - the whole job was done with the engine still on the plane.  Is it possible the SARS-CoV2 virus can infect an O-200?!?  I guess I'll have to wait 14 days to find out!

So I'm not ready to fly it to the Spring Fling yet, but it did fly today!

Paul A. Fisher
Q-200 N17PF turns 30 this year with ~1700 hours on it

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 4:18 PM Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...> wrote:

I am slow on the trigger, but today I experienced my first flight of the year.  There are legitimate reasons – so I believe.

June 19, 2019, I had my left knee replaced.  That grounded me for tooooo long.  I did get a chance to fly twice at the end of October before having my right knee replaced on November 4.  That likewise kept me out of the air until today.  Actually, I could have flown a little earlier, but in between the two knee surgeries I somehow came up with a hernia.  That delayed my flying for another 4 weeks.  Not so much that I couldn’t fly during the hernia recovery, the doctor was concerned about the force required to push the tail down and spin the plane around to then push it uphill out of the hangar.  Guess I should not have described that part to him.

Fortunately, Nancy took me for a couple of rides over the last two weeks to familiarize me with the art of flying.  Today was the perfect day.  CAVU and calm.  As in the past, I found that muscle memory carried me through the flying maneuvers, but I really lose familiarity with the cockpit.

I know what I want to look at, but I can’t seem to find it on the instrument panel.  No matter how much broomstick flying I do in the cockpit before a flight after a long layoff, I still have trouble finding the instrument I want to scan.  I know it isn’t old-age because I have always had this problem.  Fortunately, after a few minutes in the air, the instruments seem to relocate themselves to where I remember them being.

Anyway, I had my first flight of 2020 and it quickly reminded me of why we love this little airplane so much.  Worth every minute of construction time required to get one completed (if they ever are REALLY completed) and airborne.  For those still building, DON”T STOP.  Doing so will only cause you great lament in the future.

Wishing you all a great flying season.  Hope we can all get to Spring Fling and Field of Dreams!!

Jerry Marstall

Asheville, NC

Tri-Q200

900 hrs.