Re: KITPLANES - September 2006 - Las Vegas Quickie

Jay Scheevel

Thanks John,

So, based on this info, we are looking at (GW of 1000 pounds) a power loading of 15.4 lb/hp! Probably unconfortable for anything but a looong strip and low density altitude.

Cheers,

Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Hoxie via groups.io
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2020 4:13 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] KITPLANES - September 2006 - Las Vegas Quickie

The original Revmaster was 64 h.p. and the Rev Flo carburetor raised it to 65h.p.

John Hoxie

He is no fool, who gives up what he can not keep, to gain what he can not loose -- Jim Elliot

On Monday, April 13, 2020, 03:26:30 PM MDT, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:

My problem is headroom.  I got those new seats made but the foam is still so firm that I have to tilt my head to the right slightly when the canopy is closed.  I have weights on the seat to try and compress it as much as possible.  I am 6' tall.

Corbin

DSC03230.jpgDSC03233.jpg

On April 13, 2020 at 2:29 PM, Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...> wrote:

There have been a few who could just barely get the belt fastened while sucking in their belly.  Don't know how comfortable they were but by golly they weren't giving  up their seat!

77_77

Bruce

---------- Original Message ----------
To: <main@Q-List.groups.io>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 11:18:40 -0600

Guess that means you have a gross volume limit, not a gross weight limit?  😊

Cheers,

Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bruce Crain
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2020 11:03 AM

From experience, at least in my TriQ 200, if I can get the seat belt around you I can take off and land.  That was done without anything in the luggage compartment and also down at around 1000' MSL runway.

Bruce Crain

The general rule of thumb is 10 lb./horsepower for wing-loading similar to the Q2. The original Q2 was 1000 lb. gross with 85 horsepower engine (some would say more like 75-80 horsepower from the original Revmaster). So the ratio was demonstrated to be about 12.5 lb./hp on the prototype (80 hp). Once the dust settled on the design specs for the Q-200 w/ LS1, the factory approved gross weight was 1200 lb. for the 100 hp 0-200 engine. The Q2 with LS-1 and revmaster was raised to 1100 lb gross weight, or 13.75 lb/hp (assuming 80 hp revmaster). So 1325 would be at the high end of that range for 100 hp. (although exceeding the QAC specs) That is more than I would want to carry, but I think some in this group have demonstrated over1300 lb. gross near sea level.

Cheers,

Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io>On Behalf Of Joe Hood
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2020 6:53 AM

Yes, sorry, gross weight. Interesting that the article shows a 1325 lb gross.

--

Corbin 
N33QR

Join main@Q-List.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.