Re: Update: Faucet Fuel Pump Ticking Sound w/ Plenty of Fuel

Jay Scheevel

Sorry Sam, meant to say urethane. That is what I am using in my sump drain hoses and overflow return from header, but in either case, I was just recommending Corbin only use the clear tubing temporarily to check for bubbles, then go back to his previous hose. I stated that clearly. The bubbles are easy to see in clear tubing.

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sam Hoskins
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 9:15 AM
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Update: Faucet Fuel Pump Ticking Sound w/ Plenty of Fuel

First off, IMHO, never ever use vinyl tubing. When exposed to fuel it shrinks and hardens. This can lead to air leaks at the fittings. QAC said to use the vinyl tubing, but that was over 40 years ago.

I have found that even a very small amount of air in the lines, bubbles so small that they are difficult to see, cam make your pump rattle.

I have recently had good luck with the blue tinted urethane tubing available from Aircraft Spruce.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020, 9:37 AM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Hi Corbin,

Is your line from the pump to the main tank a flexible or a hard (aluminum) line? If it is flexible, I would suggest fashioning a replacement for that line out of clear vinyl tubing, then turn on the pump and look for bubbles. If no bubbles, go back to your previous line and don’t think about it any more.  If it is a hard line, you may need to buy some barbed fittings for both tubing ends that will match the flared fitting size, but you can do the same exercise with the clear vinyl tubing.

Just FYI, I have two identical Facet pumps that were installed at the same time 90 operational hours ago and were new out of the box. One of them pumps the output from the fuel selector directly to the throttle body regulator and is very quiet. The other pumps from the main to the header and is very noisy, so go figure. As long as your pump is new, is not pumping air (check with temporary vinyl line), and is moving fuel at the rate you need, you should be good to go. In other words, I do not think noise is a firm diagnostic.