Re: Im Sorry, I Crashed my Q2

Joe Hood

Talked to both FAA and NTSB. They both had pictures, so I don't think there is any hold. I think with the visible delamination, there is no putting her back together. One blade of the wooden prop is broken but the wings appeared to take the bulk of the damage, so the 75hp Revmaster could go somewhere. But the wreckage is in Preston, ID and I'm now back in MI.

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 3:25 PM John Hoxie via groups.io <hoxdesigns=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Joe,
Terribly sorry to hear about that. Can you retrieve it now or does the NTSB investigate? Mine is still a project, so I can't speak from experience, but I will add 500 feet of runway length required for every thousand feet of density altitude. My local airport is 9200 feet long and 4200 elevation. This time of year it is in the upper 90s and 100s, but the humidity is low.

John Hoxie
He is no fool, who gives up what he can not keep, to gain what he can not loose -- Jim Elliot

On Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 12:46:34 PM MDT, Joe Hood <joe.hood@...> wrote:

I spent so much time learning how to fly my Q2 (high speed taxis and all) but didn't learn proper performance taking off at 8000' density altitude.

The alternate airport I chose from the air had way too short of a runway (3400') when just 20 miles more was a strip of 9000' (I normally fly out of 3500' runway (at 839'), so the normal warning bells didn't sound). My planned destination had a 10,000' strip.

On take off, doing the normal hold the stick back until rotation, then release pressure at 70: nothing happened. 75mph, still on the ground. 50 foot wide runway and my hold the plane on the centerline was not good enough to brake and remain on the runway. At the end of the runway was a cliff. I ended up trying to push the plane into ground effect, like other planes but only succeeded in porpoising and rolling right. I leveled on the way down, impacted terrain, then off a bluff, landing in a Russian Olive tree (overlooking a river valley at U10).

I am lucky to be alive.

In hindsight I didn't need to learn mountain flying at the same time as learning to fly the Q2; flying her was like having fleeting time with a high school crush. The Q2 was like the perfect horse, you could direct her whichever direction you wanted her to go.