Re: Im Sorry, I Crashed my Q2

Jay Scheevel

Thanks for the report, Joe. I am sorry to hear about your plane, but very glad that you got out unhurt and chose to share your tale with us.

I agree with Paul and Jim M., especially the point that the Revmaster is no engine for high density altitude.

I apologize if any of my flight reports about my short strip have given the impression that this is routine for a Q2. It is not, even for mine. I have a Jabiru 3300 engine (200 cu. In.) which does 120 hp at sea level. My static RPM is close to the redline of a continental O-200, so I am generating a lot of power, even at high density altitude, yet I am still am wary of density altitude. My previous plane which I logged 300+ hours out of my short field had the same power loading and wing loading as my Tri-Q2, so I also had that reference point.

I think Joe is well aware of this issue now, but please, no one else on this group should be cavalier about density altitude when it comes to these Q’s. I spent a lot of time documenting take-off distance as a function of DA on a 10,000’ runway before I ever considered going in or out of my home strip. Even then, the first flights in and out were in the winter and were very focused on documenting the capabilities.

If you have the test flight data to support your efforts, you can verify the envelope, but you should gather the data and scrutinize it before you even think about pushing limits.

Cheers,

Jay  Tri-Q2, N8WQ 100 hours.

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of JMasal via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2020 3:37 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Im Sorry, I Crashed my Q2

AND a 75 horse Revmaster.

A 3400 foot runway with 8000' density altitude is just scary!

-----Original Message-----
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jul 15, 2020 2:33 pm
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Im Sorry, I Crashed my Q2

Joe, 

I'm glad you are alright.  And thank you for sharing, hopefully someone else can learn from this.  A 3400 foot runway with 8000' density altitude is just scary!

Paul

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020, 14:14 Joe Hood <joe.hood@...> wrote:

Just to clarify, this wasn't my first flight but the start of the second leg, after 3.5 hours of cross-country flying. I had done a number of touch and goes but only in density altitudes up to 4500'.

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 2:46 PM Joe Hood via groups.io <joe.hood=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

I spent so much time learning how to fly my Q2 (high speed taxis and all) but didn't learn proper performance taking off at 8000' density altitude.

The alternate airport I chose from the air had way too short of a runway (3400') when just 20 miles more was a strip of 9000' (I normally fly out of 3500' runway (at 839'), so the normal warning bells didn't sound). My planned destination had a 10,000' strip.

On take off, doing the normal hold the stick back until rotation, then release pressure at 70: nothing happened. 75mph, still on the ground. 50 foot wide runway and my hold the plane on the centerline was not good enough to brake and remain on the runway. At the end of the runway was a cliff. I ended up trying to push the plane into ground effect, like other planes but only succeeded in porpoising and rolling right. I leveled on the way down, impacted terrain, then off a bluff, landing in a Russian Olive tree (overlooking a river valley at U10).

I am lucky to be alive.

In hindsight I didn't need to learn mountain flying at the same time as learning to fly the Q2; flying her was like having fleeting time with a high school crush. The Q2 was like the perfect horse, you could direct her whichever direction you wanted her to go.

Join main@Q-List.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.