Re: Im Sorry, I Crashed my Q2

Jay Scheevel

Thanks for the report, Joe. I am sorry to hear about your plane, but very glad that you got out unhurt and chose to share your tale with us.

I agree with Paul and Jim M., especially the point that the Revmaster is no engine for high density altitude.

I apologize if any of my flight reports about my short strip have given the impression that this is routine for a Q2. It is not, even for mine. I have a Jabiru 3300 engine (200 cu. In.) which does 120 hp at sea level. My static RPM is close to the redline of a continental O-200, so I am generating a lot of power, even at high density altitude, yet I am still am wary of density altitude. My previous plane which I logged 300+ hours out of my short field had the same power loading and wing loading as my Tri-Q2, so I also had that reference point.

I think Joe is well aware of this issue now, but please, no one else on this group should be cavalier about density altitude when it comes to these Q’s. I spent a lot of time documenting take-off distance as a function of DA on a 10,000’ runway before I ever considered going in or out of my home strip. Even then, the first flights in and out were in the winter and were very focused on documenting the capabilities.

If you have the test flight data to support your efforts, you can verify the envelope, but you should gather the data and scrutinize it before you even think about pushing limits.

Cheers,

Jay  Tri-Q2, N8WQ 100 hours.