Should have gone to KPDC. I did yesterday. 770’ MSL.
Air is almost too thick to breath!!!

Kevin

On Jul 20, 2020, at 4:03 PM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

By the way, forgot to mention that I set an altitude record on this flyin. It was the LOWEST field elevation I have landed my Q! 1157’ MSL.

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Thomson
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2020 1:26 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Spring Fling!

Great report Jay,  your hours are building well now, and  multiple land aways, well done.

Hope to get close to engine run this weekend. Will keep you posted.

Cheers

Rich T.

On 20/07/2020 20:07, Jay Scheevel wrote:
Hi All,

I made it home this morning from the spring/summer fling. Spent the night in Kimball Nebraska last night. Actually stopped there midday, not feeling up to fighting the nasty winds/bumps typical over the mountains in the afternoon. So I called it quits and It was a good decision. This is because when I made inquiries about a hangar for the night and this lead to me meeting a really great guy, Ed Nelson, who has a long history in aviation, military and other industries. He is from an military/ag aviation family. Hi is an AI and an instructor with 26,000 hours. He came spent an hour or so with me (after putting my plane away) showing me all of his toys. He has (all in pristine condition): A Cessna 185, a Piper Warrior, a 1975 Scout, a fully restored Cessna 140 (which he learned to fly in), a PT-19 in original yellow and blue, a Pitts S-2A, a Pitts S-2C, and a Super Decathalon. Pretty cool huh?  He instructs in most of those planes, does A&P work and is the regional Citabria dealer. A nice guy worth looking up if you ever get to Kimball (KIBM). The hangar was welcome shelter for my Q, because we had very strong thunderstorms with hail move through Kimball yesterday late afternoon. The result was cool and clear this morning. Even felt chilly in the cockpit on the way home.

The flights yesterday were with strong headwind components from winds as high as 55 kts out of the NNW (even over 40 kts as low as 2500 AGL). This morning’s flight was smooth for the most part but had nearly direct headwinds as high as 40 kts most of the way. These dissipated when I got about 50 miles from home. I always want to have an altitude cushion in place before approaching the mountains from the east, so I flew as high as 13,000’ MSL, but only got a few bumps going over the highest ranges. Air was clear all the way and made for great scenery watching. I was able to get above 160 mph TAS cruise at 12.5K MSL burning 5.5 gph except when climbing. So, my Q is turning out to be a really good cross-country and high altitude plane. No problems with any systems along the way to and from Iowa, and I am getting good at “readiing” the little nuances of my plane when airborne. My landings are getting better too, at least better than the one I made at DEH! Final tally: 1640 Nautical miles, round trip on 86 gallons of fuel.

Thanks to Kevin and Paul for making this happen and covering our logistics and local knowledge while in Decorah! Great to see everyone and meet a few new faces there too! Hope to see some or all of you and maybe even more of you in Enid. I really enjoyed the extra time I got to spend with Keith and Sanjay. Kevin should be put in charge of weather for Enid, since he redeemed his good name with his WX for the delayed-Fling.

Cheers,
Jay  Tri-Q2 N8WQ, now almost 115 hours!