Re: Sparrow Strainers - Why and Why Not?

Corbin

Thanks Jim.  Oh and if I forgot to update on the VG’s on my GU, I did place them back on and even added a few more on each side.  The new ones are white and blend in a bit better than the metal ones I had on before.

Corbin

On Jul 26, 2020, at 1:43 PM, Jim Patillo <Logistics_engineering@...> wrote:

Corbin,

While the GU canard is a decent canard it had the issues all GU’s have. They are useless in rain or bugs without VG’s as I said to you way back. The LS1 canard is much more forgiving and doesn’t change its lift characteristics with rain or bugs on them. Contrary to an opinion stated earlier, the LS1 is not a garbage airfoil or a band aid. One should fly both wings before spewing off about them.

The “sparrow strainers” were added because of the increased speed of the 0200 as I understood it, to keep the stick forces lower and to prevent a high speed tuck.

Jerry is very correct. Don’t fly the LS1 without the sparrow strainers or you will have a bad day. VG’s are the band aid in my opinion. Just sayin’

Jim Patillo

N46JP Q200
1750 hours on my LS1 airframe

Sent from Outer Space

From: Jay Scheevel <jay@...>
Date: 7/26/20 8:04 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: main@Q-List.groups.io

The sparrow strainers on the LS1 are a band-aid. The LS1 airfoil was not designed to have an articulated trailing edge (the elevator). This is because there is a significant under-camber near the trailing edge. The airflow across the trailing edge causes the free floating elevator to move trailing edge up in flight and would require the pilot to compensate with significant aft stick pressure, just to hold the elevator in trail (neutral). The sparrow strainers counter this tendency, so stick pressure is balanced in flight. The shape of the GU canard/elevator does not require this correction, so no sparrow strainers are needed.

"Corbin via groups.io" <c_geiser@...> wrote:

Help educate me on this old topic.  I understand what they do regarding pitch, however, why do some of us not have them?  Is it a GU vs LS1 thing or is it simply a “don’t have a pitch issue to fix” thing?

Corbin

--
Corbin
N33QR