Re: Field of Dreams!!

Phil Lankford

Sadly, I have never gotten close to reaching the “restricted airspeed”. I suppose you meant to write “airspace”. I didn’t do much more than pick waypoints around the restricted airspace  and didn’t edit altitudes before I hit “send”.  So I guess you do fly north and button-hook over to TCC. I am an Okie and I have managed a few Route 66 flyover trips SNL - ABQ - INW - PRC -CNO and I have flown the southern route from SAN -  ...  - CNM so I have a few ideas about the terrain. My plane may be the slowest in the group with carburetor O-320 and Catto 3 blade fixed prop. Coming from KSEE I may have a passenger (pilot) in which case I will certainly plan the Mexican border route and an extra fuel stop (less than full fuel) if density altitude threatens.  This will overfly I-8 for much of the trip to TCS in case I sneak up from the south. Thanks for the kind response. Phil

On Aug 24, 2020, at 5:49 PM, Phil Lankford <britmcman@...> wrote:

Teach me, OB Wan. I haven’t mzuch practice on this flight app

Phil

On Aug 24, 2020, at 5:24 PM, Paul Fisher <rv7a.n18pf@...> wrote:

Jon said "Alan’s airplane doesn’t appear to fly straight so expect a bit of meandering."

Hey my Q-200 does that too!  It must be the canard because my RV doesn't meander. Of course my RV has an autopilot... nah, it's got to be the canard!!  ;-)

Good write up Jon.  I hope it does some good.

Paul

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020, 18:31 Jon Finley <jd@...> wrote:

Ok… ok… ok….

You are coming over the mountains. If familiar with mountain flying, ignore this…

For middle of September….

Watch the winds aloft at 18,000’ over/near the mountains. If 30kts or more, expect it to be pretty bumpy. If 50 kits, don’t (without some experience/local knowledge).

RV’s do just fine in the bumps but can be uncomfortable (that big hershey bar wing with low loading).

Plan to be done flying by noon (or earlier). Between density altitude and rough air, the afternoon is not a fun time to fly.  If you are landing when you shouldn’t be flying, be vigilant during take-off/landing for thermals and dust-devils - at the worst possible time. Make a go-around decision early. It is a wise choice, not a cover up for a mistake.

I can’t speak for any of California… assuming you are flying more or less direct from SAN to TCS (or TCC), the terrain from southeast of PHX to TCS will likely feel like the scariest thing you’ve ever flown over. Either imagine your happy place and enjoy the beauty OR plan to go around the south end of the mountains. That will be near Tucson to around Deming, then a bit north to TCS.

The ground is VERY high and very rough (on the more direct route). You will scraping it at 8,500.  That is VERY unnerving to some people, be prepared. Most folks like to be up around 12,000’-13,000’.

TCS is 5,000’ MSL, TCC is 4,000’ MSL. Nearly guaranteed to be warm and density altitude will be a factor. At TCS, expect 6,000’ DA at sunrise, 8,000’ in the afternoon.

High density altitude operation requires leaning – all the time, even taxing - and the understanding that your airplane is going to perform at about HALF whatever is normal (closer to sea level). Expect a long takeoff roll and a slow climb. When landing, expect the ground to appear to be rushing by much faster than normal. These “unusual sights” will mess with your mind – knowing why they are occurring is half the battle.

If it helps, Alan flies I-40 from Bullhead City – ABQ – TCC. That is high ground (7,000’ MSL) but much more forgiving and they put a pretty nice parallel runway in place for you (though there are a LOT of moving obstacles). I’ve only landed on I-15 and I-25 so can’t give a pirep on I-40.

The wind across NM, Texas, and OK can be pretty nasty. Another reason to be flying early and back on the ground early (this time of year).

All of that said… a little commentary…

I don’t mean to scare you. I just happen to see a lot of flat-landers come out here every year and needlessly damage themselves and their airplanes.  So, I preach a lot.

Assuming your RV is typical, it will do just fine – it has plenty of performance. Give it time, don’t rush it. I can’t see any of the sites from 12,000-13,000’ and about all I can see that it accomplishes is giving you lots of time to keep realizing that there are simply no good places to make an emergency landing. Oh, beating the heat – that is the one reason to be up there - I can’t do that anymore due to that ADS-B thing. Some will say tailwind is the other good reason. Maybe, a good wind is usually accompanied by good bumps.

Mountain waves/updrafts/downdrafts are real. You have a ton of performance in that RV, add some awareness of how/why these things form, a wee bit of common sense and you will be in good shape.

Route from TCS is a bit north to avoid White Sands, then TCC. I’ll top off fuel and we’ll fly more or less direct to WDG scooching around Vance (END). Alan’s airplane doesn’t appear to fly straight so expect a bit of meandering. J

I understand that Kevin is in charge of the FOD weather this year so I expect clear skies and tailwind both directions. ;-)

Jon