Re: Question on Canards and Main Wings

Bruce Crain

Come on now oh great Pohbah did they use an Eppler airfoil?  Inquiring minds want to know.
On the same subject Sammy Hoskins flew faster than 209 mph (unless 209 is knots) with the origin main wing and LS1  canard behind a 100 horse Continental 0200.  Wasn’t the engine in the Amsoil Racer engine a pumped 150 horse?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Bruski Crainsku

On Sep 1, 2020, at 4:28 PM, Bill Allen <billallensworld@...> wrote:

<808E46D9-FE02-44C5-BC8F-4D9C5C3BCFED.jpeg>
Here it is....

On Tue, 1 Sep 2020 at 22:22, JMasal via groups.io <JMasal=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Many know I am Death on the subject of "modifications". But I just now came onto some historical information that all of you may not know.

Sept. 2020 Air and Space mag explores "Racing's Fastest Biplane" noting that in 1981 at the behest of Danny Mortensen Burt Rutan  created

the Amsoil/Racer that "could almost be considered a tandem-wing design." Not just "almost" but it looked like a Quickie on steroids.

 In  the 1982 championship race, Mortensen finished second at 209.2 mph (winner's speed was 209.4). In 1983 Mortensen didn't compete in the championship

race because he "had demolished the lovely Amsoil/Rutan racer in a prior heat when he dodged an impending mid-air with Sorceress. His raceplane

hit the ground at more than 200 mph. Because Rutan had designed the cockpit to withstand a 22-G impact, Mortensen miraculously walked

away with only minor injuries".

And now you know the rest of the story.

Jim

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Jay Scheevel" <jay@...>

To: <main@Q-List.groups.io>

Subject: Re: [Q-List] Question on Canards and Main Wings

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 12:21:17 -0600

Hi Bruce,

You can send Mike the  attached files. They are the asci files for Javafoil input that contain the geometries for BL 15 (fuselage wall), BL50 and BL100. Both the canard and the wing in the same file for each BL. The ordinates are their relative position as installed on the fuselage of the Tri-Q2, per plans. The absolute x-coordinates are in meters relative to the firewall located at 0.0 meters (FS 14 in plans) and the y-coordinates are relative to the ground (0.0 meters) for purposes of ground-effect modeling.  The plans-correct sweep and washout are also represented by the coordinates these files (LS1 canard, and Eppler Wing).  There is no anhedral, since I have modeled a Tri-Q with flat canard.

Mike can contact me offline if he has any questions. Also, may want to make him aware of my papers on the modeling, in case he is interested. Here are the links from my website:

From: Mike Shuck <mikeshuck2001@...>

Date: August 29, 2020 at 11:30:17 PM CDT

To: "jcrain2@..." <jcrain2@...>

Subject: Question on Canards and Main Wings

Hi Bruce,

I'm working on the the canards and main wings re: airfoils.

I have the ordinates for them but for the Q2/Q200 and the Quickie but I need to know the chord length in inches of the canards for each of the 2 models and the chord length of the main wings of each of the 2 models. If the main wings are tapered I need the maximum chord and the minimum chord in inches and I can derive the mean aerodynamic chord from that data. This way I can calculate the Reynolds numbers for each.

I hope you can help me on this. I'm going to add a canard of my own design for the Q2/200 and airfoils for the main wings of each (for theoretical uses only) just to spice up the PowerPoint presentation.

Thank you!

Mike