Re: A better Roll Trim

Paul Fisher

I just used one inch wide elastic.  I don't know what kind it was, my wife had it in her sewing stuff,  I just appropriated it!  In this case I used two strands of it and sewed about two inches of velcro to each end.  The excess length is so I can adjust the amount of trim I need.

Here are a couple of pictures.  One has the "trim device" laying on the center console, but you can see the velcro on the console on both sides of the control stick. The second shows it in position with right aileron trim.  Left trim is done by attaching both ends of the elastic to the left side of the console.  It is not the least bit elegant, but it's hard to be any simpler or any lighter weight.

I was very worried about the failure mode of a trim device that I wouldn't be able to control.  Ripping both sides of the velcro off takes virtually no time and there is no way it can jam the controls once removed.  I've flown with this for 10+ years.  I think I had to replace the elastic once, but otherwise it has worked perfectly. YMMV.

I hope that helps.

Paul Fisher
Q-200 N17PF

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 10:42 PM Michael <dunningme@...> wrote:
Paul - do you have any pictures of your setup? What kind of elastic did you use?
--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Join main@Q-List.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.