Re: Beginning labor pains #photo-notice

kingdws@...

If you need information on the gear stuff mentioned in the newsletter Drew Aurigema is a friend/business partner so can put you in touch. He might still have everything still. I know he gave me a set of his Raptor plans on DVD and there might be something there as well.

Dave

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020, 14:34 Mike Steinsland <MIKESKUSTOMS@...> wrote:
HiGuys
Just new to this forum
I just recently picked up a Q2 project up here in Parry Sound , Ont.
I found this Dragonfly lay up for gear.
I think I have something else but wifey has told me to fire up the barbee so I'll just send this for now

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 3:05 PM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Good advice, Jim. If Cody is going to go with inboard gear, either tail dragged or nose dragged, then he could also do a Waddlelow design.

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Patillo
Sent: Sunday, November 08, 2020 12:30 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Beginning labor pains #photo-notice

Jay, after looking at the pictures and Cody telling me the shattered spar is about 14” from the small end, at the wheel pant, it seems to me that it would be difficult to fair in a repaired spar to the elevator slot core. As you know, that is a fairly thin area to work in. Also if the spar is not load tested and proven prior to install, a failure could cause the elevator end to fail. Repairing the spar in that area would be difficult even for experienced glass guys. My suggestion to him was to find a spar.

Believe me, flying a newly repaired spar

Is much more disturbing and unnerving than my 1st. flight was. With all the other stuff going on during the first flight, this is additional mental anguish you don’t need.

Not saying it can’t be done but personally I would be trying to find another spar. There’s got to be one around somewhere and there’s something to be said about peace of mind.

Just my opinion.

Jim

N46JP - Q200

Sent from Outer Space