Re: Gypsy Wind

Robert Cringely

Speaking of Falcons, 45 years ago I spent my weekends flying a Falcon 10 with British aerobatic champion and RAF test pilot Neil Williams. We mainly dashed from London to Paris and back. One dark night over the Channel Neil did a 1-G roll with customers in the back. Nobody noticed. Another time we went supersonic in a shallow dive and now body noticed that, either.  What a great airplane!

Bob

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 1:36 PM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Cody,

You may be interested in reading about the kids that are building and flying at my home field in Western Colorado.

https://hawkaviators.org/

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of smeshno1@...
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2020 2:18 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Gypsy Wind

 It's easy at the airport to simply "see" an airplane. What is not thought of the man-YEARS it takes to build just one, not to mention the education of all that must be in place to support.

 Even an old hand in the big factories cannot help but be amazed at how an aircraft the size of a 777 is final assembled in 3 and one half days! Now of course the rate of build is slower. The NG 737 were being built and flown out of Seattle at one each 8.5 hours! And no two airliners are the same either.. the options list and various cabin configurations are vast. Engine packages as well.. the list goes on and on.

 As a factory mechanic I never had to really understand the depth to accomplish these tasks, but as grass is green in Spring I understood really fast what happened if the rate was not met!! Still..most skills were gained not in the factory..but the hangars and shops of restoration or homebuilding.

 I believe it is a very important task to open the eyes of youth to the fact that "things" in this world do not simply appear out of vaporware. Someone has to have the drive and interest to make real things happen.  Yes we can use current tools and we should, but the push in schools for only esoteric or theory leaves a lot to be done.

 As I stated more than once.. I'm the Village Idiot. I was hired in several places and never stopped learning. Still am learning. Sometimes something in the past I learned can be useful but by no means do I consider myself knowledgeble