Re: GU Canard Wax

Bob Farnam <bfarnam@...>

Jon,

Look back through the archives. I have written this up in some detail at
least three times, and Tom Moore has an article I wrote for the Q-Talk
which he will probably be publishing soon. Basically, Jim and I have
Q200's which are pussycats on the ground. Jim Patillo has about 20 or so
hours into his flight test and has never had problem with steering, and
I have about 250 hours on mine. Both airplanes have good manners. Mine
is much better than the Piper Pacer I used to own with Jim Ham. Neither
airplane has the Gall modification - both have plans alignment (about
0.6 degree toeout, zero camber with no load). We both have La Rue brake
mods with toe brakes, reduced throw full swiveling tailwheels, and tail
wheel steering springs. Basically, we threw out the odd steering lashup
that Quickie designed and made the airplane like all the other
taildragges in the world. No magic! For the two of us, it works fine.
Incidentally, I see nothing wrong with changing the camber alignment,
but I don't believe that camber is the problem. After all, lots of
spring gear taildraggers have camber change under load. I think the
problem with a standard Quickie is lack of effective steering power
under some conditions. No taildragger wants to roll straight on its own.
Setting it up like other taildraggers gives it the steering power it
needs. The reduced tailwheel throw calms down the twitchiness at high
speed, and the tailwheel springs soften the steering and help prevent it
from darting to the side if landed crossed up in a crosswind. A side
benefit is that breaking the tailspring doesn't cause the complete loss
of all the steering. If anyone wants a demo, come to the Mountain States
flyin. I'll be glad to give rides. As far as the Livermore contingent is
concerned, we consider the steering to be a problem no longer.

Bob Farnam
N200QK

Jon Finley wrote:

Jim,

We have seen the list of things that you and Bob did differently with your
planes (specifically the tail wheel). Please tell us how you installed the
main gear and axles? Did you use the old sight through the axle holes while
upside down method?? Where are your axles set (camber/toe)?

Given the lack of response to this question the last couple times that I
asked I assume you know what I am after and are not willing to provide the
information. You may be one of the lucky ones that got your axles set
"right" the first time. I don't understand how you can claim (implied in
this message) that the "Gall Mod" and main gear alignment have nothing to do
with how your aircraft behaves on the ground when you don't know how your
gear is set?? What if you ran an alignment test and found that your axles
were set exactly per David's suggestions - what would you say then?? If you
were to run the test and they were far different than David's suggestion
then we might sit up and listen. For now, without information on how your
gear is set, we are forced to say "Yah sure, you just got lucky and got the
gear alignment right the first time!".

Jon Finley
N54JF Quickie - Volkswagen 1835cc
N90MG Q2 - Subaru EA-81 DDT