Re: "Darting" to Left on Slow Speed Taxi

Corbin

Hey Martin!  I was thinking the same.   Just checked winds for tomorrow and it’s only getting stronger the next day or two.  Direct crosswinds up to 25kts.  I’ll still try since it won’t be a headwind.  Low speed taxi work.  But will do again on a more calm day.

Corbin

On Dec 22, 2020, at 6:19 PM, Martin Skiby <mskiby@...> wrote:

Try without the wind before doing anything would be my recommendation.

Martin

On Dec 22, 2020, at 1:46 PM, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:

Thanks Mike.  I would be thrilled if that’s all it is.  I’ll go back out in the morning.

Corbin

On Dec 22, 2020, at 3:40 PM, Mike via groups.io <n7000t@...> wrote:

Corbin,
Going by my past experience I think is a tail wind issue. I’ve had this happen to me in similar situations. Try to go into the wind and see what the results are.

MikeQ200wannabe

On Dec 22, 2020, at 1:33 PM, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Well, I thought today would be the first day I flew with the new Lightspeed ignition.  My plan was to do a couple high speed taxi tests and, if all was well, then depart for a test flight.  However, when simply taxiing down to the runup area it "darted" left on me twice.  I don't think it was because my feet aren't awake from not flying.  It just seemed to randomly "dart" left.

The pedals and brakes feel normal and there is no play in the rudder cables.  Could it be the left tire/caliper is grabbing but then releasing.  I don't know where to begin troubleshooting.

I had a camera recording but not with the tailwheel in view.  Here is the video in case you want to see the "dart" and have any ideas for me to look into tomorrow.  I included the startup just for fun.  Skip to 1:15 and 2:15 for the two darts before I decided to head back to the hangar.

https://youtu.be/LpUadPr6480

Could it simply be wind gusts....they started picking up around that time.  My heading on taxi was 360 and winds were 160 18-26kts....

Thanks,

Corbin
--

Corbin