Re: Your Opinion

Bruce Crain

I’ve never had carb ice.  But I don’t know why.  Could be the tight fit underneath the cowl and heat around the carb?
Bruce

On Jan 2, 2021, at 3:03 PM, One Sky Dog via groups.io <Oneskydog@...> wrote:

If your ice tea glass is sweating you are in the humidity range for carb ice. The vaporization of fuel takes energy which lowers the air temperature drastically. Any water vapor in the air condenses and may freeze.

Charlie

On Jan 2, 2021, at 2:01 PM, Dave Dugas via groups.io <davedq2@...> wrote:

Hi Keith

I remember you telling me about this, and I’m glad that you attached the article, since I’ve had a bit of experience with carb ice. So far I’ve been able to manage it fine with my carb heat mixture set-up, but it’s a very interesting article. Thanks….Dave D

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Keith Welsh
Sent: Saturday, January 2, 2021 10:54 AM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: [Q-List] Your Opinion

Hello everyone,

I hope y'all had a great bringing in of the new year.

I've attached an article I read about once every five years or so regarding carb icing.

We all know about carb ice and the danger it poses.  I experienced it years ago in my then Aeronca Chief when, in the summer, the engine stopped producing power on final.  At least it would not throttle up when flaring to land and stopped on touchdown.  After setting a bit she started just fine...by hand propping of course.

The highlighted area toward the end of the article gets my curiosity up and is what I would like your opinions on since many of you are much smarter than I.

The reason for asking is that somewhere in the 90's I had the throttle shaft, throttle plate and intake manifold teflon coated on my Quickie and this article is where it all started.

One hot humid day back then while looking down the carburetor with the engine running I was surprised at the amount of water that was forming on the throttle plate, the size of the droplets and the time it took for them to run off.  Onan carbs are on the top of the engine as most know.

I found a company in Indy that did industrial teflon coating, Keco Coatings, and they are still there and this is their website https://www.kecocoatings.com/coatings/teflon/

After the Teflon coating was done the water still formed but with a notable difference.  The droplets were miniature sized and it was like a contest to see who could run off the throttle plate first.  Very impressive.

I've never sought the opinion of others regarding this article but knowing the breath of knowledge among you Q guys I thought I'd reach out and see.

Thanks for taking the time.

Keith

N494K

<D0CFA40E58B8464A96B3AC0266DDC4EA.png>