Re: Your Opinion

Martin Skiby

We traded it for a Long EZE.  My son flew the TriQ out to Missouri and the Long EZE back.  We are rebuilding the Long now.  Almost done.  I miss the TriQ, but the Long EZE will be better for my son at this point fir travel.  

Martin

On Jan 3, 2021, at 10:13 AM, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:

Agreed...love not worrying about carb ice!

Corbin

On Jan 3, 2021, at 11:09 AM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Martin,

Where did your Tri-Q end up?

Cheers,

Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Martin Skiby
Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2021 9:39 AM
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Your Opinion

I had it once very bad just as I was about to head over the mountains.  It was in the TriQ200.  70 degree day also.  Tried everything else first as I really did not expect the issue to be ice.  I turned back toward the valley and pulled the carb heat.  The engine sputtered for a bit then roared back to life.  

I had a cold air ram system into the carb for max performance.   The 0200 is famous for carb ice so I recommend NEVER flying without a working  carb heat!  Unless you have fuel injection like Corbin!!

Fly safe!

Martin

On Jan 2, 2021, at 7:54 AM, Keith Welsh <klw544@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

I hope y'all had a great bringing in of the new year. 

I've attached an article I read about once every five years or so regarding carb icing. 

We all know about carb ice and the danger it poses.  I experienced it years ago in my then Aeronca Chief when, in the summer, the engine stopped producing power on final.  At least it would not throttle up when flaring to land and stopped on touchdown.  After setting a bit she started just fine...by hand propping of course. 

The highlighted area toward the end of the article gets my curiosity up and is what I would like your opinions on since many of you are much smarter than I.

The reason for asking is that somewhere in the 90's I had the throttle shaft, throttle plate and intake manifold teflon coated on my Quickie and this article is where it all started.

One hot humid day back then while looking down the carburetor with the engine running I was surprised at the amount of water that was forming on the throttle plate, the size of the droplets and the time it took for them to run off.  Onan carbs are on the top of the engine as most know.

I found a company in Indy that did industrial teflon coating, Keco Coatings, and they are still there and this is their website https://www.kecocoatings.com/coatings/teflon/

After the Teflon coating was done the water still formed but with a notable difference.  The droplets were miniature sized and it was like a contest to see who could run off the throttle plate first.  Very impressive.

I've never sought the opinion of others regarding this article but knowing the breath of knowledge among you Q guys I thought I'd reach out and see.

Thanks for taking the time.

Keith

N494K

<INDUCTION ICING STUDY.doc>

--

Corbin 
N33QR

Join main@Q-List.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.