VG’s YES!!!
I tried everything to avoid them but needed with GU. I have not put them on the new canard yet. I do not want to damage them while I am still throwing things around.

Charlie

On Jan 5, 2021, at 2:14 PM, smeshno1@... wrote:

Understood. The additions on the bottom of the Canard are one item I was wondering about with my own Canard. I also have the same MKII gear stubs and the non-anhedral planform and could not see any usefulness for the additions on the lower Canard surface until now. Your photo clarifies; with the original VW rather than O-200/Corvair the plans designed D'fly narrow firewall would not make the grade. In the photo view it is clear why the aerodynamics would be better with a "no taper" to the L.E. of the Canard. My fuselage is all Q, therefore a conventional Q-200 cowl will be acceptable for fitup. I will calculate the cooling area with the flat 6 but I doubt any problems would arise compared to the flat 4 being used.  William is very clear on the cooling area size required. The actual flight testing has proven it as well.

 I will be cutting the span of both the Canard and Wing to "Q" config..18 feet and filling in the MKII stub holes due to my revision to use Wittman Buttercup gear design (I own a numbered plans set from Ed Luce for the Buttercup), and possibly removing the two fairings on the lower Canard surface. I am unsure how those fairings were applied.. peel ply and layup and then bonded or if they were made as
part of the Canard layup. If done as part of the layup then the sleeping dog will stay asleep and the fairings will stay put.

 Do we need vortex generators with the D-fly airfoils? I do not see them on your aircraft in the photo.

Vern

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of One Sky Dog via groups.io <Oneskydog@...>
Sent: Tuesday, January 5, 2021 2:35 PM
To: main@q-list.groups.io <main@q-list.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Charlie's Dragonfly Repairs

My Dragonfly in 1995 with 1835 cc (UN)HAPI engine the side now follows approximately where the cheeks were.

<image0.jpeg>

On Jan 5, 2021, at 1:03 PM, One Sky Dog via groups.io <Oneskydog@...> wrote:

I did not actually widen the firewall. The Corvair is wider than a VW. On the stock Dragonfly the fuse is 3” wider than at the front of the canard. An aero guy told me that makes the air over the canard move sideways and not a good thing. I glued a wedge of foam to the existing glass and shaped it t morph to the canard.

Charlie

On Jan 5, 2021, at 11:50 AM, smeshno1@... wrote:

 You widened the firewall for extra room within the cabin or due to requirements for the engine mount?