Re: progress

Mike Steinsland

Sure like that video Sam and I like the presentation, you're a skilled communicator.
Judging from the reflection on the wing you got that pretty straight.

I've always been open to new ways of doing things, particularly while I was working on high level show cars over the years. I've learned there's always another way to skin a cat and you don't progress and increase your craftsmanship if you stay in the same mindset.
I'm going to give your method a try when the time comes to do the finishing work. I'll let you guys know what the differences are.
In the mean-time I've attached a picture of a reflection in the door of one of the many paint jobs I've done over the years.

I really enjoyed that video. It was very informative. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 7:33 AM Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:
I hope you guys have seen my epoxy wipe video. Probably too late in your stage, but it really works well and eliminates a lot of pain. Here it is.

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021, 9:24 PM Mike Steinsland <MIKESKUSTOMS@...> wrote:

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 10:13 PM Mike Steinsland <mikeskustoms@...> wrote:
I usually start with a coarser paper, 80 - 120 just to take the "crust" off then hit it with a guide coat again and progressively move up to a finer paper.
If you go through the primer STOP (unless it's your filler)

3M makes a charcoal guide coat that I have used for years.
Here's an amazon link but you should be able to get it through your local jobber a lot cheaper

You put it on with a sponge like applicator (it's part of the the lid top)  You don't have to put it on heavy, a very light coat will give you all the contrast you need.
1 container will easily do your airplane

Nice thing with this is you don't get stinky paint fumes and overspray

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 8:21 PM Dorothea Keats <dkeats@...> wrote:
  Good tip Mike.  I use a two foot board mostly and a sanding block
along with a trouble light to look for lows and highs. I'll give the
light misting of black paint a try.  I put the primmer on with a roller
. I  have premarked  with a pencil any low spots I can feel with my
hand. The prime I use I have mixed with micro so I lay it on thick in
the low spots. Board sand it later. Your suggestion will make it all
that much better.   Take care---------------  Chris

Mike Steinsland

--

Mike Steinsland