From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of smeshno1@...
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2021 1:36 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Wing load testing and max weight

 The only test was in the news letters. Q Canard was tested in the past with static to 1200 lbs (positive).

Sand bags from the local Big Box home improvement center.  On release, the tested surface resumed

original design config(Q2, MKI Anhedral if my memory is correct)

 The point is, from all builders/owners in the newsletters or blogs, of yet no test of either Dragonfly or Rutan Q surfaces

(Wing or Canard) have been performed to failure..so there is no definite known max load other than Finite Element work.

 Here is one project I had a bit of a hand in

 She went 150% in this photo (and did not break).  I've flown over the Atlantic in a 787-9 but the wings were

not at this point of flex.  I am pretty sure if they were my wife would have been a bit more than worried since

she was with me on that flight from Stockholm to Ft Lauderdale.

 When fail is reached it is upper surface compression, most often beginning at shear surface bondline (contact) from

the spar/ribs to IML of the upper surface layup. Failure happens almost instantly but the strain gauges tell the tale

afterword.

 In our case the question arises of what is the bond of the glass layup to the solid core foam doing?  The Dragonfly

having a different spar method than the Rutan carbon tube, so that is an important factor also. Delam of the skins

from the foam is what we aught be expecting. The flex of the resin/glass compared to the foams involved.

 Big question, and now BOTH foam and resin glass are different than in the 80's. I have extra orange Q2 foam to

build the test surfaces but then again.. we can't obtain that same material now. The goal is to use what we can get

and perhaps "back test" to the older material so the "as built" materials properties are known as well.

 One of my "wish list" projects is to get the time and materials together to build a set of test surfaces to go to failure

in both positive and negative G. I have not heard of any flutter issues with either structural design.

Vne may need be exceeded to discover that (sarcasm on high!)

  Vern in frozen Oklahoma (Feb 12)