Re: Wing load testing and max weight

Frankenbird Vern

 I couldn't recall if it was the Wing or Canard..thank you for the clarification, Jay.  Here is what Charlie and I both are
concerned about.. the Canard, especially in the MKI config, takes a beating in this design. Neither D-fly or Q2 have
had the Canard tested (that we know of) and I cannot be certain of the load limits in my own aircraft.

 So the airplane geek I was trained to be finds this situation unacceptable. Too many years in the factories worrying
about "what if's!"   I am concerned we have had structural fails..thank goodness not to the point of
augering in from 10,000 feet. There are indications of upper skin delam from the canard core..and crush of the core
leading to compression fails right where we expect these conditions to happen. The bond between the core and upper
glass layup degrades over time...so the margin in safety to peak load will be reduced.

 So I have the question here.. I can build a fixture that can easily use my 1/2 ton Dodge truck to provide a stabilized test
fixture (the data plate on the truck indicates the mass we have to work with, also not a problem having certificated scales
weigh the vehicle).  How much in todays materials would a canard cost to build? No need to add finishes because these
are not going flying..these are going to test to fail (if possible). I prefer testing the Dragonfly Canard for the reasons
explained before. The M.E. within wants to test what is more likely of a successful build by the homebuilder in her/his
own Shop.

We MIGHT be able to effectively tool for Q2 Spars and test those also. We would need to know the exact ply schedule,
finish, and resin used at QAC. What finish dry carbon fiber also. What tapes used?  A far superior part would be possible
with pre-preg ribbon and the correct mandrel...but then the problem of autoclave and accurate cure arises. It might be
possible to correctly pre-preg fab the tapered tube Spars using internal inflated balloon methods and then cure the entire
tool with the layup and mandrels in a controlled oven.

Village Idiot Vern