From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...>
Sent: Saturday, February 27, 2021 4:57 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Q-List] N96BJ Flight

Any time frame for completion of "Frankenbird"?  Inquiring minds want to know.  It would sure be great to see you taxi up at FOD this year!  I don't suppose the weather has been conducive to squeeging fiberglass resin.  But Spring is coming and the temps will be perfect!  I concur that Cushing would be a great place to test fly it.  I've been into Pogue and didn't like to surroundings and approach.  It is a bit unsettling to me.
What are you working on currently?
Bruce

From: smeshno1@...
To: "main@Q-List.groups.io" <main@Q-List.groups.io>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2021 18:20:39 +0000

 How bad was the homestead when you arrived? Just today the water mains in Tulsa were finally repaired.. Out here in the sticks we are on a water catchment system I built backed up by a well I drilled last Summer. No water problems but my electric bill is probably going to be a bit extreme. Need to get PV back on a roof. I lived off grid for over 20 years in Taos County...so I know the limitations and potentials. I've been to Angel Fire many times...Taos, Crested Butte,.. lots of skiing. Its a beautiful airport at Angel Fire.

Which is your preference for X-wind landings, Bruce. Forward slip all through Final or do you crab angle and then align to the
runway? X-wind Pilot techniques were taught both ways in my Student times... Instructor presented both.

 I ask because the various types of aircraft make the Approach to landing different. I am wondering specifically the change (if any) in Tri Q compared to taildragger version.

 I learned both and most of the time use forward slip. I do this because early in the approach it's mostly known what the ability of the aircraft is to fly the X-wind component at that airport at the time.  The risk of course is strict airspeed maintenance because I'm cross controlled at low altitude.

Glad your back and safe.  Does your RV have the added gussets on the gear tubes? This months Kitplanes has a very good article on the topic.

Vern