Re: N96BJ Flight

Frankenbird Vern

 Jay,

 I read most of the files.. it seems the reality is that even with more hours PIC in type..the causes of
 accidents still focus on landing approach..

 I would expect that of course on low time experience...surprising there were seemingly similar
 percentages even with 50+ hours PIC.

 What might be the data cause is extended time between last current flight experience? Getting "rusty"
in a Tandem wing design seems to have quite a bit higher risk.

 GO FLY!!!!  in other words.

 The first time I was in a Q it was in 1984 and it was a Q1. I had quite a few hours in taildraggers then and the
fellow that wanted me to fly it only had a general idea of the differences. He knew enough to tell me not to try to
wheel land it. Took my time to get aware of how it handled (or so I thought)!  It flew well enough..and I did some
time at slow flight to the "stall" if you'd call it that..so I had a good idea of the numbers to make the approach on Final.

 It took three attempts at landing before I decided best might be to take to the smooth grass next to the asphalt runway. In
hindsite that was not a wise idea! But they had just cut the grass that morning and it was dry..no mud or puddles.
No toe brakes of course..just a simple mechanical drag brake lever. Onan 22 hp, not exactly a powerhouse
up front.

  I made it back to the ramp without damaging the machine but that venture ended any desire for a Q1 as that
one was built.

 Lessons learned. Stay current!

Vern