Fuel tank options.

smeshno1@...

It (the internal tank foams).. would displace some capacity, yes. 

My particular solution, Bruce, is to purchase a blown seamless poly tank, and then plans build around it. I am looking at a tank right now that is holding 250 gallons of water in my cottage. Part of my rain catchment system. It is common material. 

My engine compression is safe using 93 octane (boat gas).. NO ethanol!!  100LL is of course also no problem for detonation protection, but I must use lead extraction additive. Neither fuel will attack the poly tank(s)... both tanks can take pressurization, within reason of course. They are tuff!! I have purposely inflated and deflated sealed tanks just to see where they fail at. No dice..
they stayed fluid tight. 

Vern     

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...>
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2021 8:01 PM
To: main@q-list.groups.io <main@q-list.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Forward Canopy geometry

The airframe needs to be as light as possible.  The foam filled fuel tanks would take away a bit of fuel volume wouldn’t it?
Bruce

On Mar 23, 2021, at 6:18 PM, Anthony P <solarant@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

With all the talk about fuel dumping, tank integrity, and motorsports, I'm very surprised I have not seen or heard of fuel cells or fuel bladders being used in homebuilt composite aircraft.
All of my race cars have used fuel cells with flexible and puncture resistant bladders.  Both of the companies I buy from started out in the aircraft industry and I think still serve that industry.

Here's a link to a common supplier of high end (expensive) onboard fire suppression systems used in amateur and professional car racing.
https://www.lifeline-fire.co.uk/

Join main@Q-List.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.