From: "One Sky Dog via groups.io" <Oneskydog@...>
To: <main@Q-List.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Resin volume placed on foam
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 09:57:50 +0000 (UTC)

Rob,

In an auto clave the usual cure cycle begins with full vacuum to expand the air bubbles so they move laterally between the plies. The pressure is applied to reduce the size of any voids left and drive remaining gases into solution in the resin.

Blender scheduals are calculated to not remove to much resin.

Charlie

On Monday, March 29, 2021, 1:30 PM, Rob de Bie <robdebie@...> wrote:

I really like this as a thought experiment. And I see some parallels with autoclave processes. In an
autoclave you can apply pressure without the vacuum turned on. Therefore this is sort of similar to
what you propose. I haven't figured out yet whether this leads to different amount of resin flowing
into the bleeder - but my gut feeling says it will have a considerable effect.

And now that I'm thinking about it, a typical autoclave pressure *could* make the resin absorb small
air bubbles. At least that's what I see in resin casting, using polyurethane resin. In that process
one can take one of two very different routes: vacuum casting or pressure casting. In former you
'pull out' the air bubbles, in the latter the pressure makes the resin absorb the air bubbles. Until
tonight I hadn't seen the parallel. But it has nothing to with building a Q1 or Q2 :-)

Rob