Re: Q1 Fuselage comes up

Eugen Pilarski

David,

thank you very much vor your email and the valuable information.

Please find in the attachment a cross section view from the fuselage that show which angle I choice for conturing. The angle in the Q1 drawings show up a 30°, as it also be captured, so I did it in the same way. The pictures from my past email deceive a bit, after some of the experts asked me about it, I did made a test piece and measured that unit again, it fits. But the countering area need some additional sanding to fit the requirements.

Thanks for the tip with the main wing and the fuselage. I think before I will shape the fuselage, to build at first the main wing.  When these are available, then to form the fuselage. Or I will make a matching molded piece of the main wing from this area, we'll see. If necessary, it would be possible to insert a further struts in this area to support the fuselage wall? Sufficient space would be available in the segment.

In the case of resin, I do not use MGS-335. My choice is HEXION MGS L385 and H 386 (aero approved), but that need a subsequent tempering of all parts, what is already schedule. Please find in the attachment a data sheet. My buddy has a paint booth with integrated heating that allows a temperature of 65°. Do you have a source I can refer to that does not confirm fuel resistance of the resin mentioned? I would be very interested in such a source. Thank you very much.

The wing foam that I chose is come from the the same supplier like the LongEz and Cozy guys here in Europe use, so it should be work for the Quickie too. But I will double check it too.

Best regards from Germany

Eugen

Am 06.04.2021 um 09:51 schrieb David J. Gall <David@...>:

Eugen,

It appears that you machined a 45 degree bevel on the inside contouring of your fuselage sides and bottom. The section A-A you refer to shows a much more shallow bevel. You MAY encounter problems of break-through when contouring the outside of your fuselage. You WILL encounter an awkwardness when contouring the outside of the fuselage at the seatback bulkhead/main wing saddle area. The plans show the fuselage sides contoured to a "knife-edge" thickness of foam at the longerons (page 7-12, Station 70.0 and station 89.0) but immediately aft of the seatback bulkhead that knife edge has no longeron to support its inboard edge (page 7-9) and you've carved away the foam below the main wing but ABOVE the level where that knife edge line would continue aft of the seatback bulkhead. The dashed lines in the plans on page 7-9 behind station 78.0 extend too high up the inside wall of the fuselage side, causing the foam to be carved completely away or a compromise carving modification that results in an awkward bulge just aft of the canopy. My advice, since you're already carved the inside of the fuselage sides, is to modify the page 7-12 station 70.0 and station 89.0 carving profiles to leave more foam outboard of the longerons so that a smooth external shape can be achieved aft of the seatback bulkhead. (Too many words!)

Wing foam: make sure your wing foam has large enough surface pores for a good mechanical bond of the wing skins to the foam.

Epoxy: I am told that MGS-335 is NOT adequately fuel proof for fuel tanks. Be sure to use EZ-Poxy or Derakane 204 (or newer variant) for the inside of your fuel tank.