Axiumflight@...

You are welcome to pose all of this to Mark Kettering, owner of aeromomemtum. This thread was about a canard. I'm going to try to stay on topic.
     Ryan

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 9:15 AM, Jay Scheevel
<jay@...> wrote:

Here is a great summary of a glider destroyed in flight from a lightning strike, told by one of the occupants of the plane. Great pictures and reconstruction of the events. Suffice it to say, you probably don’t want to get struck by lightning.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnx0aGViaWc0MHJlYWNoZm9ydGhlc2tpZXNhZ2FpbnxneDo1NzMyZmZkOTVkOTcwZDFj

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Thomson
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2021 4:35 AM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] GU canard for sale?

    Jay,

    The modern carbon airliners use glass pads as insulators for lightning strike, so as the carbon spar is wrapped in glass, it should be insulated from lightning stike I would have thought.

    Just my 2 new pence worth, (which is also a good coin for tap testing).

    Br

    Rich T.

On 27/04/2021 01:40, Jay Scheevel wrote:

Any Q is faster if it is lighter and more power is added. Those factors are probably more important than the airfoil.

VG’s on the GU solve the rain/contamination problem, but are a pain when trying to keep the canard clean.

LS-1’s break too, but just outboard of the fuselage instead of farther out on the wing.

There are several GU’s flying with O-200’s on them, so I suspect the QAC change from GU to LS1 was driven more by contamination problems than by strength issues (despite what was said in the QAC newsletters).

I am not sure that the speed of GU vs LS1 has ever been fully resolved, but there are a lot of fast GU Q’s that have been built with a variety of engines (Corbin’s is a very fast Q200 and has a GU canard. Paul Spackman’s Q2 with the GU and Jabiru engine is/was also very fast). More LS1’s have been built because of supply, so the sample size is larger and probably more is known about them because of that.

……The GU will not explode if hit by lightning, since no carbon fiber.