Re: Fuel Sight Tube Broke- pics included

Jay Scheevel

That’s a great idea, Bruce. Wish I had thought of that while building. I would have put a corning tempered glass “sight glass” as the sight gauge and then covered the whole length of it with a clear vinyl tube clamped on both ends. The fuel would only come in contact with the glass unless that glass broke and if it did that, then the vinyl would hold everything together without a spill until a repair could be made.

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bruce Crain
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2021 1:40 PM
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Fuel Sight Tube Broke- pics included

Use a larger hose piece that fits over the original fuel hose.  It gives a bigger diameter for the hose clamp to tighten up against and holds the underneath hose better.  You can split the smaller outer hose lengthwise if it won’t quite fit over the inside hose.  Heck you can use two hoses over the inside one if you like!

Bruce Crain

On May 6, 2021, at 1:27 PM, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:

Honestly, I thought it was discolored by design.  I know some are clear but I thought this was tinted tubing.

Corbin Ge!ser

On May 6, 2021 at 12:49 PM, Mike Dwyer <q200pilot@...> wrote:

Yes, those are a yearly replacement item.  Looks like yours might be 5+ years old!  When they are no longer clear, your on borrowed time!  Same thing with the header tank overflow tubing.

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 1:04 PM Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Brittle little tubes these are.  I’m starting the new panel build and was emptying the header tank.  I barely touched the sight gauge so I could watch the fuel quantity decreased.  It cracked immediately and fuel started to spray.  As I panicked and yelled, “tell my story….” to anyone that could of heard me, I tried to put my thumb over it and it broke into more pieces.  Plenty of fuel emptied into the middle and pilot seat before I could rig up the hose and water container to collect it.  Fun.

Glad it broke on the ground as I easily could have tapped it in flight and the same thing would have happened.

Corbin

--
Corbin
N121CG