Re: Panel Progress

Jay Scheevel

You may be absolutely right Sam that is not needed, but the reason I put it there is not because of interference or friction, but because I know from solid mechanics that a minor flex can cause a long thin walled tube to buckle instantaneously when exposed to a torsional load if it is flexed slightly out of straight. I did not do the catastrophic yield threshold calculation to see how much of a deflection from straight would be required to fail under normal torsional working loads, but that was my reasoning, and it gives me peace of mind. The guard weighs much less than one pound.

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sam Hoskins
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2021 4:45 PM
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Panel Progress

Honestly, IMHO a guard is not necessary, just adding weight and complexity. I have had luggage back there a lot, and I certainly imagine that it was rubbing on that torque tube at times. With absolutely no noticeable difference. Same with the rudder cables.

Sam

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021, 1:01 PM Richard Thomson <richard@...> wrote:

Hi Jay

I like the protection over the control tube, is that just glass ?

Do you think it would be sufficient to use heavy duty velcro on the flanges rather than nuts ?

Rich T.

On 11/06/2021 16:27, Jay Scheevel wrote:

Here’s my roll servo installation.