Re: Some Qs

Bruce Crain

3-  yes the phenolic is to raise the angle of attack on the ground.  You should know that if the nose gear wheel pant is in place it can come into contact with the prop.  I drilled and tapped a bolt in the top of the fork after cutting away a part of the large welded washer (maybe 90 degrees which leaves 45 degrees left and right of center when turning on the ground).  The tapped bolt is centered in the cutaway up close to the cut back washer so that the ends of the cutaway stops the fork before it turns far enough to contact the prop with the wheel pant.
Because of the above scenario the phenolic is the only thing between the large welded washer and the top of the fork.  You shouldn’t try to cut the cupped spring washers as they will cut into the things they are contacted.  So that leaves the cupped washers underneath the fork.
Hope this helps.
Bruce

On Jun 13, 2021, at 4:32 PM, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

1.) Can you be more specific about the stick extension you're referring to?

2.)  Many of us have flat head screws on the front portion of the attachment, with pan head screws on the back.

3.)  Sorry, I'm not a Tri-Q guy. Photos are helpful.

Sam

On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 4:42 PM Tim <timmrlw@...> wrote:
Hi All,

I have a few questions which have come up during my completion…

1) Stick extension - I have noticed on the Q tours (thanks for those Sam and all) that some have the extension on the front of the stick and some don’t. I can see it in the LS1 plans. My Tri-Q200 with LS1 (dual elevator rods) doesn’t have this, the previous owner says it meets the control throw limits, but I have it in bits at the minute and didn’t check. Why was this mod introduced? (Avoids having to cut a tunnel into the tank?)

2) Tail cone bolts - again in the tours I see some have the per plans dome headed screws and some you can’t see, have people fitting countersunk machine screws instead and filled over the heads?

3) My nose leg has a phenolic disc (adjusts deck angle?) plain washers and then 4-5 ‘cupped’ washers. I can’t see reference to this assembly in the plans, should I have this number of the cup washer or just one each side of the gear, I assume these allow you to preload the assembly without clamping down on it too much.

Thanks for reading! Tim