Re: Q1 Fuselage comes up

Eugen Pilarski

Dear Q-list members,

thank you very much for your notes! That’s great! From a German guy I got the original Q1 plans from 1981 and every time I picked up the roll of paper it’s fell like magic. Thank you Harald Wiegand, please find a picture in the attachment from his airplane he build up. So, the links I send is only to quickly lead the reader of my email to the previously written word. You are right, the plans on quickheads are a bit bulky. I got already your source under my investigation eyes and catch up what I could find :-) . Thank you for that information. So I will use the solution of Jinx/Brock for the firewall/Engine mount position like the picture indicate.

In my point of view it was really hard to roll off the slice of cuted glass on the inside fuselage, that wasn’t so easy like Rutan indicate in his video :-). The glass didn't want to spread very well when unrolling, it overlapped in parts and then it was difficult to pull the glass smooth again without pulling the fibres out of their original direction. For the now long layers of the BID, for covering the outer sides, I had attached a dispenser device like the one the colleague used when building the LongEz (follow the link in my previous email). After writing the email, however, I remembered that only the UNI glass can be peeled off in the length shown on the dispenser. The BID would shrink in the middle if too much tension was applied, and then it would be very difficult to restore it to its original shape.

So I will probably have to cut correspondingly long pieces, roll them up again and unroll the roll on the outside of the fuselage with very fine fingertips. Or I will put the long strips of BID on a foil, wet them with resin and put them on the fuselage, the foil should help to fix the glass in its position, then remove the foil and squeeze it. How ever, it will be a long Saturday to glass the fuselage.

Can someone explain to me why the underside of the fuselage should be cured before the fuselage is turned back into its upper position and the top side is covered with glass? Thats the plans indicate in that section. The micro should be able to hold the wet glass in place and prevent peeling off when the fuselage is rotated?

Best regards

Eugen

Am 06.07.2021 um 19:47 schrieb David J. Gall <David@...>:

Vern,

I appreciate your enthusiasm but:

Carbon and titanium and prohibitions – oh, my! These planes are made from super-cheap insulation materials sourced from Home Depot and a second-hand generator motor swiped from the derelict RV parked out back…. (not really, but if you spend more than $10,000 on a Quickie you might be doing it wrong!)

The stiffeners are plenty strong (they are, after all, “stiffeners,” not “strengtheners”) with just one layer of BID on each side. By the time they’re installed using 2 BID tapes and all the other nearby added layers of BID from the canard installation, they’re truck-strong….

David J. Gall