B&C 30 amp alternator fuse issue

Sam Hoskins

This is for anyone with the B&C BC433 30 amp generator mounted on their O-200.

In widely spaced incidents, I've had a couple of fuses blow in the line between the alternator and the regulator. After a lot of discussion and looking at the culprit fuse, we think we boiled it down to an overheated 20 amp fuse with a slightly corroded leg, rather than a current overload. I've also communicated with Bob Knuckolls about this.

As a result of these discussions, B&C has decided that the fuses are unnecessary and only provide another possible failure point. They installed an alternator on their test stand and shorted the windings in all possible combinations and found no hazards.  Just thought I'd pass it along.  Here are the drawings.

New wiring diagram:  https://bandc.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/505-501-.pdf

Superseded diagram:  https://bandc.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/505-500-J.pdf

Stay safe,

Sam Hoskins