Re: Quickie Q1 Canard and wing foam cut

Rob de Bie

Nice site, decent data. But most applications look mostly cosmetic and/or low loaded. I think you are pioneering with the material, make really sure that you are safe! Like with those hot/wet specimens to check long-term resin adhesion. Should I look up that article to give you some guidance?

Rob

On 16 Sep 2021 20:27, Robert Cringely wrote:
It seems to be working fine for me: https://lingrove.com/ekoa-prepregs <https://lingrove.com/ekoa-prepregs>
On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 11:04 AM Rob de Bie <robdebie@xs4all.nl <mailto:robdebie@xs4all.nl>> wrote:
Bob, when you mentioned flax fibers I peaked my ears! I've worked a bit with flax composites
some 15
years ago. Is the material mature enough to use in an aircraft? I remember problems like no
suitable
sizings being available to optimize fiber-resin adhesion, moisture content during curing leading to
degraded resin adhesion & quality, and moisture absorption during use leading to lower properties.
Sounded to me like it would a lot more development before it would be safe to fly. But it was 15
years ago.
I also remember reading in an eighties issue of 'Homebuilt aircraft' magazine that hot-wet test
specimens could be good indicator of the longer-term quality of the fiber-resin adhesion. Sounded
reasonable to me.
Rob
On 16 Sep 2021 17:39, Robert Cringely wrote:
> Thanks! I’m using a no-name 680cc aluminum air-cooled V2 diesel to which I am adding a tiny
> turbocharger and intercooler. What’s changed since you looked is probably direct injection.
Engine

<http://groups.io>> <bd5er=aol.com@groups.io <mailto:aol.com@groups.io>
> <mailto:aol.com@groups.io <mailto:aol.com@groups.io>>> wrote:
>
>     What diesel engine are you considering?  I looked at the V-twin Chinese diesels more than a
>     decade ago and discarded the idea as not practical.
>     There are some interesting marine 2 stroke diesel development projects nearing market
>     introduction that may provide some of us with a 100LL option.
>
>     Look up Alan Thayer (sp) in the archives.  He had an LS-1 canard designed using Graphlite
>     rods.Attached is a *.ZIP file of some of his work.  Graphlite is no longer a practical
source of
>     carbon rods for us as they are quite unwilling to sell rolled lengths of material.  The
Chinese