From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jon Finley
Sent: Wednesday, October 6, 2021 8:09 AM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Firewall with no engine

Mike Busch has put a really good video/article together regarding 'maintenance minimalism' or 'maintenance-induced failures'. I think it's worth watching. Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHwtkZNSlPA

I've also built/flown behind several alternative/auto engines and felt that it was mandatory to keep a VERY close eye on them. I wore out MANY cowling nutplates/screws pulling that thing off after nearly every flight to check things (before I could afford quarter-turn fasteners).  In this scenario many items under the cowling (custom brackets, mounts, etc.) have zero 'fleet hours' on them - that's what the builder is accruing.  For me, this 'problem' was amplified since I was a hack.  At one point, I believed that if an item survived 20-30 hours it was going to last forever. Then I learned about how metal fatigues and started thinking I needed to watch things CLOSER the more hours I put on them.  Doh!!! :-)

So, IMO, there are some different scenarios that don't fit into the same mold. No doubt that finding a balance is the trick.

Now that I fly a Lycoming, I feel a bit guilty that I only remove the cowling every 50-75 hours (for an oil change). :-)

Jon Finley
Somewhere in the Southwest flying an RV-4