Re: Forward slide canopy

Jim Patillo

Good evening Nick,

My canopy design works well and is solid. I suspect the one you referenced used thin 1/8” aluminum stock and was flimsy,  which made opening and closing the canopy feel awkward. 

I originally had the “ turtle deck”  like most Q’s have. Then tried the slider you mentioned. IMO
the slider looked and felt like it didn’t belong on an airplane but in a cabinet. 

The reason I came up with this  was: 1. It gets real hot here in the Central Valley of California and straight thru airflow works great, 2. The canopy can’t be ripped off on the groundwith high winds and 3. I have a quick release canopy in that the canopy can be completely off in seconds. I used 1/4”x12” aluminum stock to make the 4 parallelogram pivoting arms. You simply lift and push forward to operate. The whole thing is simple and easy to fab. For what it’s worth. 

Jim 
N46JP Q200
1,800 + hours 

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Jay Scheevel <jay@...>
Sent: Saturday, October 16, 2021 7:57:42 PM
To: main@q-list.groups.io <main@q-list.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Forward slide canopy

A few people some years ago put in slides as you describe,Nick. They still require a small version of the swing over arms in order to have clearance for the slides. I think that they never really caught on because they were easy to get misaligned and bent. Too many moving parts. I suggest sticking with a proven design. My 2 cents.

Cheers,
Jay 

On Oct 16, 2021, at 6:28 PM, Nick Wright <nwright27@...> wrote:

I have plans for a forward slide (using drawer slides) for the Q bird. My airplane originally had the same installation shown in your picture. Wasn't very sturdy.

Join main@Q-List.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.